OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been positively diagnosed with desquamative

Customer Question
inflammatory vaginitis as result of...
I have been positively diagnosed with desquamative inflammatory vaginitis as result of exam and lab test. I have been on 2 weeks of daily clindamycin, then about 20 days of daily 2.5%hydrocortisone and now anucort hc, 2x/day, all vaginal applications. I attend a rural clinic and am treated by PA. She seems knowledgeable but I understand this is a rare problem and difficult to cure. I'm much better than I was but still have a in full sex and expect that if I stopped treatment it would all come back. I'm not cured. Is my provider following a best course of treatment for this problem? Should I go find a gynecologist? I don't have a lot of money and don't have insurance for the anucort which is really costly.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/7/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Your np has good knowledge on this condition and is treating you appropriately. There are alternatives to anucort and generics. Below is a link to a lecture from an expert in vaginitis
http://www.asccp.org/Assets/daa39f0b-3bb6-4025-82b6-e5fe1208f5c0/635959099532430000/3-desquamative-inflammatory-vaginitis-haefner-pdf
How long until cure? or what is maintenance treatment? I just started the anucort. How long till sex feels normal and not like my husband is trying to fit a foot long penis into an inch long vagina?
It can be a chronic condition. After using the antibiotic it should be cured/stopped. There's no way to know how long it will take for your symptoms to completely resolve
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD