OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 18 weeks pregnant today. I have been having one to two…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am 18 weeks pregnant today. I have been having one to two drinks per day throughout the pregnancy thus far but am committed to quitting now. How much damage have I already done? Is there any chance my baby will be okay? I didn't tell my doctor today and would prefer not to because I'm afraid they'll take the baby when it's born if I tell them.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Not officially. A record of what exactly?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have a unicornate uterus, but as I understand it that just affects the chance of preterm delivery

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service.
According to the CDC and the U.S. Surgeon General, “There is no known safe amount of alcohol to drink while pregnant. There is also no known safe time during pregnancy or safe type of alcohol.” According to the American Academy of Pediatrics: “There is no safe amount of alcohol when a woman is pregnant. Evidence-based research has found that drinking even small amounts of alcohol while pregnant can increase the risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, prematurity, or sudden infant death syndrome.”
Alcohol use during pregnancy does not always lead to fetal alcohol syndrome. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 2012. The study concludes, “Reduced birth length and weight, microcephaly, smooth philtrum, and thin vermillion border are associated with specific gestational timing of prenatal alcohol exposure and are dose-related without evidence of a threshold. Women should continue to be advised to abstain from alcohol consumption from conception throughout pregnancy.”
You are putting your baby at risk by not telling your dr so that he or she can intervene and reduce your risk.