OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Do these results mean have an infection in my body?

Customer Question
Do these results mean have...
Do these results mean have an infection in my body ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/6/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Did you also have a specific IgG test for HSV-2?

HSV-2 was not High .. I’m trying to figure out if have a virus in me. Does this show recent virus ?

The IgM test is not as accurate. It can raise suspicion that there is some sort of infection by HSV-1 or HSV-2, but it is not sufficiently accurate to say that someone is infected. If there is a positive IgM test, that only means that further tests are needed. Your test is positive, and your doctor has already performed further tests.

The type-specific IgG tests are more accurate, particularly when the index is high (>3.5). Since your HSV-1 IgG test has an index of 6.31, that indicates that you are infected with HSV-1, which is the virus that typically cause oral cold sores. It is important to note that the majority of people are infected with HSV-1, and most get it as a child. The exact percentage varies in different populations, but generally about 60-70% of people are infected.

Since the IgG test for HSV-2 was not high, then the positive IgM result was likely from the HSV-1 infection. The IgM test looks for antibodies for both HSV-1 and HSV-2, so the positive IgM result can be from either virus, but would be from HSV-1 in your case.

So, the results show that you are infected with HSV-1, so the virus is inside you, generally in a dormant shape. The virus may start to grow and cause cold sores, but if you are not having any cold sores, there is no reason for you to be concerned about this infection. If you are having cold sores, then there are medicines that can be used to help relief the infection, although it is not a cure of the infection.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

there there is no active infection in me? He was trying to test for the shingles virus without the rash .. to find out what is wrong with me ? I️ have not had a cold sore in awhile. Can this be an indication that have an antibody in me that it is so high ? Or does it mean nothing. I️ was hoping i found what has been bothering me .. can this be an indication of Lyme ?

No, this does not indicate an active infection. The level of the index does not indicate the current status of the virus. These are the results that would be expected in an adult that has not had a cold sore in a while, so it is not really "nothing", but it means nothing beyond the common infection that causes cold sores. It does not indicate Lyme disease.

That’s bad news for me.

It is neither good or bad, and it certainly has not resolved whether there may be reactivation of the shingles virus without a rash (zoster sine herpete). Additional studies looking at antibodies to the shingle virus (the varicela-zoster virus) checked over time would be the next step that I would typically consider.

But Postive HSV-1 is no indication of the shingles virus ?
Or there was an infection ?

Correct. A positive HSV-1 IgG antibody does not indicate any type of infection by the shingles virus. Only that there has been an infection by the HSV-1 virus.

The IgM antibody test can cross-react with the shingles virus, but it can cross-react with many different viruses. Even if the positive IgM test could not be attributed to HSV-1, it does not prove that there is activation of the shingles virus. There would need to be additional studies.

But this high reading could indicate that just recently had an infection ? My lymp Abso was low Also

It could be true, but the test does not show it to be true. The test also does not show it to be false, which is why I say that the test is neither good or bad.

Is there any additional clarification that would be helpful?