OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Can a cerclage be done if fetus fell to cervix. I'm asking…

Customer Question
Can a cerclage be...

Can a cerclage be done if fetus fell to cervix

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I'm asking for my brothers girlfriend my brother is upset because girlfriend went to dr and he told her fetus fell to cervix so she would be able to save baby

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't know

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. I’m sorry to hear about your brother’s situation. Can you tell me, how far along in the pregnancy is his girlfriend?
8 wks
Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, at 8 weeks if the fetus has “fallen to the cervix” and not properly implanted into the uterus wall, then a cerclage would not be effective to salvage the pregnancy. I’m very sorry for your brother and his girlfriend. Can I answer any other questions for you?
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD