OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

If I gave him oral sex and he was positive for HIV if my…

Customer Question
If I gave him oral...
If I gave him oral sex and he was positive for HIV if my eight week test comes back negative I am completely okay?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/5/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. The chance an HIV-negative person will get HIV from oral sex with an HIV-positive partner is extremely low. The type of oral sex that may be the riskiest is mouth-to-penis oral sex. But the risk is still very low, and much lower than with anal or vaginal sex. Though the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is low, several factors may increase that risk, including sores in the mouth or vagina or on the penis, bleeding gums, oral contact with menstrual blood, and the presence of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). In the absence of these factors, you can rest assured that a negative test at 8 weeks is very very reassuring. It would suggest you do NOT have HIV. That said, we recommend testing at 3 months and 6 months just to be absolutely certain.

Ok
What is the best way you can suggest me going to the hospital and getting tested how can I bring up the test the fourth generation test? Cause if I go get it done and it is negative at eight weeks it is conclusive?
For HIV

That would be near conclusive, yes. Make an appointment to see your doctor in 2-3 months for retesting. If negative, again, you would be in the clear from this exposure for sure! :-)

Does this make sense?

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to help further. And thank you for using JustAnswer.

When we are done, please remember to rate my service by selecting 3-5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close the question).

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor