OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having severe pain, redness and swelling in my vaginal…

Customer Question
I am having severe...

I am having severe pain, redness and swelling in my vaginal area after inserting Monostat 1. The pain is almost unbearable?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Just tonight after inserting the Monostat? I've had itching and pain for about 3-4 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have M.S. I've had pain with sex and was given Estrogen Solution apply to the entrance to my vagina.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/5/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

If the tissues of the vagina are raw with infection or inflammation, contact with Monistat can cause further inflammation with pain , redness and swelling. It will take at least 1 day for the Monistat to be able to control the infection.

For immediate relief from the pain, please take Brufen 200 mg now and after 12 hours. It is available without a prescription.

Also, apply a cold pack to the vaginal area - this will soothe the area. If you have cold yogurt, apply some inside the vagina as high as you can go. Not only will the cold decrease the inflammation, but the yogurt will cause change in the ph of the vagina and help clear up the fungal infection.'

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.