OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife gets itchy feelings on her clitoris and inside her…

Customer Question
My wife gets itchy feelings...
My wife gets itchy feelings on her clitoris and inside her vagina at times. Sometimes this happens when she washes with scented soaps. This always happens when I (her husband) gives her oral sex. Sometimes it happens if we use Coconut Oil and then have sex and the Coconut Oil gets inside her. Sometimes if she takes a shower quickly afterwards it makes it better but doesn't fully take all the itchiness away. It can still take 2 to 3 days to clear up. If she doesn't wash it can go on for a couple weeks and it drives her crazy until she has to go to the doctor to get some anti-fungal tablets. She says it is a overgrowth of yeast called Thrush or Candida.Is there any way to prevent this from happening so that she doesn't have to be uncomfortable?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. I doubt this is an overgrowth of yeast, but sounds more like allergic vulvitis. Avoid scented soap, dove sensitive is a good choice. Be careful prior to oral sex. Brush teeth and rinse well. And never use coconut oil. Its very allergenic
Well, I do brush my teeth well before oral sex. Can you explain more what allergic vulvitis is? We are already doing what you suggest. Is there any further ideas or treatments? Is there any type of soothing cream or anything that would be helpful before oral sex or after? Any other idea?
It is an allergic skin reaction. Coconut oil is the worst thing you can use. A cream will make things worse.
Ok, if Coconut Oil and Cream would make things worse, is there anything that would make it better?Would a some KY jelly make it better?Is there any good direction to go? Because we are washing afterwards and brushing teeth well. If not, ok. Just doesn't seem to be any answers except what we are doing.thanks.
One other thought. Would olive oil be better than KY Jelly? Random Thought, but probably the wrong direction. Just thought I would ask. Tks.
No NOT at all. Olive oil is a food product. Its difficult to get pure olive oil in this country. In addition any oil will be impossible to eliminate from the vagina. I believe it is the coconut oil causing her issues. WATER based lubricant is best
Ok, thanks for that. It was another OBGYN from the Just Answers web site that suggested it.Did you have any thoughts on KY Jelly?Could it be anything else besides allergic vulvitis that we could research?
I think the ky is water based and is ok. The only other condition would be vulvodynia