OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Is it possible that BV is carried by a male partner from one…

Customer Question
Is it possible that...

Is it possible that BV is carried by a male partner from one woman to another?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Yes, it's possible and happens in about 50% of the cases.

In that case once you get it and if you are still with the same partner then he is still carrying it back to you all the time right?

Unfortunately, yes. That's why for our female patients with recurrent BV we actually recommend having the partner treated as well with metronidazole.

Does garlic work as well as metronidazole

Not so much for men. You can try it but usually it fails to control BV in men the way it can control it in women. But I see no harm in trying it.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

-Dr. Mo

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Please click the rating button when you get a chance.

-Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD