OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I got my period on the 13th of November and started spotting…

Customer Question
I got my period...

I got my period on the 13th of November and started spotting on the 23rd. It lasted about 2 to 3 days. on and off. I was wondering if it was related to being pregnant

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Medical record of what?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have PCOS

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask when did you have unprotected intercourse, what date?

around the 22nd and the 23rd
I actually started spotting on the 27th, about 2 weeks after I first got my period

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Thank you

Actually, if you had intercourse around the 22nd of November which is one week after the period AND the spotting occurred around the 27th, then YES it is possible that the spotting was due to implantation bleeding. The chances are low but it is still possible for you to be pregnant. If you have regular cycles then you would have ovulated around the 26th (+/- 2 days) and with the sperm being viable for up to 5 days after ejaculation in the female body, it is possible that the spotting was an indication of pregnancy. Usually, implantation bleeding would occur a week to ten days after ovulation, so this was unlikely to be implantation bleeding. But it can be ovulation related bleeding which can occur in many patients.

The point here is that the bleeding is likely to be due to ovulation itself but given the timing of intercourse a pregnancy cannot be ruled out. That is why I would suggest getting a pregnancy test around the 10th-11th of December IF you don't get your period.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

I do actually. I normally was supposed to get my period the first week of November could that possibly have anything to do with potentially being pregnant? I missed my period the month of October and then got it on the 13th of November.

NO, if you got a period albeit a late period that rules out a pregnancy before the 13th of November. Even if you missed your period in October but getting it in November rules out a pregnancy at that time. But at the moment the spotting and unprotected intercourse around the 22nd of Nov means that a pregnancy should be ruled out with a new pregnancy test.

The other possibility is that the delayed period of October and the spotting right now can also be explained because of a hormonal imbalance. This can occur in patients who have PCOS and in these cases medications would correct the problem.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating