OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

If there is no heartbeat at week 8 can my baby still be

Customer Question
If there is no...

If there is no heartbeat at week 8 can my baby still be alive?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Yes 4months we did a Biopsy but nothing was wrong

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/4/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Can you clear up a couple of things, are asking about the absence of a heart beat at week 8 of the pregnancy? If so, what biopsy did you get done at 4 MONTHS? if you are week 8 of your pregnancy then the 4th month mark would not have been reached, can you clear up this issue?

Hi Dr, so i am current 8 weeks, 1 day pregnant, but 4 months ago i have an irregular papsmear and the Dr had to Biopsy a sample of my tissue, the results come back negative.
Today i had a scan and there was no heartbeat, i have a follow up next week.

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually at 8 weeks you should have seen a fetal heartbeat, however, there are cases in which the heartbeat has not been seen until the middle of the 8th week or up til the start of the 9th week, so to answer your question YES there is still a chance of your baby being alive, however it is a very small chance. ALmost 90-95% of heartbeats are seen by the end of the 8th week of gestation and if it is not seen by that time there is a high likelihood of the pregnancy being no longer viable especially if the ultrasound shows no other signs of fetal movement etc.

So simply put, YES you baby can still be alive however the chances of that are only 5-10%, but that does mean that an ultrasound should be repeated at the end of the 9th week and if there is still no fetal heart beat then it is very likely that the pregnancy is no longer viable.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.