OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 47, and menopausal. My periods, which came every 28 days…

I'm 47, and menopausal. My...
I'm 47, and menopausal. My periods, which came every 28 days like clockwork, did not slow down, but just stopped in 2014 when I began taking Lexapro. I'm pretty sure the Lexapro had something to do with it, and I have read anecdotal evidence to this effect, but to my knowledge, no studies have been done which would support this theory. So, at the time, I was wondering if I even was truly menopausal, having had no perimenopause whatsoever. Lately, however, and three years post the cessation of menstruation, I have been having hot flashes, which seems more age appropriate, and because I have also had decreasing sex drive, and mood swings, I am feeling that this is more the menopause I expected, from conversations with my older sisters. I have had weight gain, sugar and carbohydrate craving, and lethargy/exhaustion when I've had plenty of sleep and went to an endocrinologist thinking that there might b a thyroid issue. He was very clear that there is no thyroid issue, so I'm on to other hormones to sort this issue out. I have purchased Lifeflow Progesta-care and Bi-estrol creams.So the questions:
1. I just used my first ever dosage of progesterone cream. I also used the estrogen cream and immediately (and strangely) my nipples hurt. What's that all about?
2. As I understand it, I should take estrogen every day and progesterone for two weeks out of every month. Is this correct?
3. Anything else I should know or do to manage menopause?
12/4/2017
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your questions. To answer them one by one:

- The nipples contain many estrogen and progesterone receptors. When the estrogen level goes up in the blood, these receptors are stimulated and the cells in the nipples enlarge. This can cause soreness of the nipples. Regular use of estrogen will however cause the body to adjust to the higher estrogen level and the soreness decreases.

- Yes, you should take estrogen every day and progesterone for the last 2 weeks of every month. This mimics the hormonal levels in a normal menstrual period.

- One of the main problems in menopause is a fall in the metabolic rate of the body . This causes sluggish movement of food through the gut leading to constipation, bloating and indigestion. Regular exercises are necessary to increase the metabolic rate. With a lower metabolic rate, the amount of food ingested should be decreased, while increasing teh quality of food taken.

- The skin tends to become thin and dry. Weekly oil massage with any good oil - like coconut oil, almond oil or olive oil will go a long way in maintaining the health of the skin and making it supple.

- Calcium supplements are necessary if you do not get adequate calcium in the diet.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Thank you. This was exactly what I needed to know.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor