OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I’m 50 years old and had my uterus removed in 2004 because…

I’m 50 years old and...
I’m 50 years old and had my uterus removed in 2004 because of fibroid tumor ..... I have Noticed lately for past couple of days I have Had cramp like feeling .... like premenstral cramps .... not real bad or anything but just wondering since i still have my ovaries if tbis is normal
12/4/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Yes, the discomfort you're experiencing could certainly be related to your ovaries. Your ovaries continue to remain hormonally active, and ovulate (meaning release an egg every month or thereabouts) despite the missing uterus. It is likely that you are experiencing some ovulation pain.

Ok that is what I had Figured ... just wanna make sure :).... I just Turned 50 so is this something that will happen periodically

The average age of menopause in this country (when our ovaries become inactive and typically stop ovulating) is 51, but some women's ovarian function will persist even past 51. So in short, yes, this could continue on for up to a few more years!

Ok thank I so Much

You're welcome!

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN