OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having what I believe is repeated vaginitis. I was

Customer Question
hospitalized for an allergic reaction...
I am having what I believe is repeated vaginitis. I was hospitalized for an allergic reaction and had
the same discomfort, secondary to the rash on my leg and allergic reaction to Levaquin. My doctor ordered
Fluconazole 200mg one dose is all it took. He ordered Fluconozole 200mg again and last night was the second pill, it isn't helping yet. How long does it take for Fluonozole to work, and how long should it be taken. Is there something topically, like Balmex that can be topically applied. What could this be? No odor, discharge, bleeding, some slight burning when urinating. I have multiple allergies including Sulpha and all quinolones, and I am morbidly obese and sedentary.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
12/3/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

Can you be more specific about exactly what symptoms you are experiencing? Slight burning with urination and anything else?

discomfort when sitting, the area just feels as if you scraped your knee and there is some burning with or without urinating.
I am noticing that with the Fluconozole, where it was almost immediately helpful, this isn't doing what it did before. As I sit here I feel burning.
When I tried to apply some A&D with gloves on, it was horrible painful to the touch.

Thank you.

Fluconazole treats yeast infections (one type of vaginitis, or vaginal infection) but the hallmark of yeast infection is itching and cottage cheese discharge, which it doesn't sound like you have.

I was going to suggest a barrier cream (such as A&D ointment, calmoseptine, or Desitin) but it seems this was too uncomfortable.

You could try Sitz baths (where you soak in a few inches of lukewarm water a few times a day) just to try to soothe the area before trying to put some type of cream on again.

I also typically recommend to my patients to get a probiotic everyday (to promote healthy bacteria in the body). Any over the counter tablet is good, or you can eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day.

If it's not getting better in a day or two, you may need to get it checked out. If it is so tender that you cannot even touch it, best to make sure everything looks OK down there.

I'm not having any discharge, odor or bleeding. When I was hospitalized it was due to treatment following a UTI.
I'm beginning to have some mild burning with urination, but that's it. I can try Desitin and use latex free gloves. This wouldn't be something like vaginal cancer would it? I'm just getting scared because it's just so darn persistent. Being grossly overweight and sitting almost all the time isn't conducive to keeping all that dry either, I am sure. Your thoughts?
How long can Fluconozole be treated, he told me it should take effect after a dose or so, I've had two. My doctor who ordered it is an Infections Disease Specialist who treated me in the hospital.

Vaginal cancer is unlikely to be the cause of your symptoms, but it is a good idea to let someone do a pelvic exam and check you out down there. The fluconazole typically works within a day or 2, if what is going on is a yeast infection.

Thank you, ***** ***** allergies everyone is afraid to try anything. Is there something OTC I could try that won't cause a problem or interact with the Fluconozole. I'm allergic to sulfa.
Thank you for your help, I'm going to try the bath to stop the burning and try Desitin. Should I take one more pill of the Fluconozole or stop it? Take care and Happy Holidays!

Hi! My apologies for the delay.

Unfortunately the only OTC treatments are topical (meaning they'd have to be applied vaginally) and it sounds like there's still too much discomfort for that.

Go ahead and finish the fluconazole, there's no harm in completing the treatment.

You are welcome. I wish you well. If you are satisfied with the responses provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you and Happy Holidays to you as well.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the responses received please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN