OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Am currently reading about emergency contraception, and I…

Customer Question
Hi am currently reading...

Hi am currently reading about emergency contraception, and I wanted to try the Yuzpe Method. However, like the one I read from this site, I have only Diane 35 because this is the only pills available in the country where am at now. Will it be effective?

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

To be honest i never had it neither tried to use pills.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had an unprotected intercourse with my boyfriend and I wanted to try ECP but those morning pills are not available in the pharmacies here.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Am healthy, I could say my period is normal

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually, Diane 35 is not the ideal drug to be used as an emergency contraceptive pill, but you can certainly try using it via the yuzpe method. You can try using it as 4 pills now and another 4 pills 12 hours later. However the efficacy of Diane 35 as an emergency contraceptive is not as good as using another recommended drug, the ones which are available in Oman include,

Lo-Femenal

Microgynon-30

Nordette

These can be used in a dose of 4 pills within 120 hours of unprotected intercourse and then 4 pills 12 hours later.

Another option can be to use the following pill as a dose of 40 pills all at once within 120 hours of unprotected intercourse,

Ovrette

If however none of the above are available then you can certainly try using Diane 35 as a morning after alternative in the dose that I mentioned, however, its efficacy is around 50-70% in preventing pregnancy as compared to 80% and above for the remaining methods.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/