OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question it's my birthday tomorrow and I started my…

Customer Question
Ok I have a...

Ok I have a question it's my birthday tomorrow and I started my period can I use plan b to stop it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was on the Depo shot but I stopped taking it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Please tell me this will work for the weekend cause we're going out of town
12/1/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Actually, if you are already on your period, using plan B or even any other of the birth control pills which are commonly used to stop periods, may NOT be effective. The reason being that all of these drugs are to be used BEFORE the period starts and once it starts, there is NO guarantee that these pills will work or not. You can try using the plan B but there is a more than 70-80% chance that it may not work. If you had used the plan B even 2-3 days before it would been more effective.

You can certainly try using it though, a depo shot, on the other hand, may be more effective than plan b.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Will what can help me out please I need to know something
I can't talk on the phone I can only text

There is no foolproof way to stop a period once it has started, the best you can hope for is 50% effectiveness with the use of norethisterone pills or with the use of plan B pills you can hope for at best 40% effectiveness and even in that case it will take atleast 2-3 days for the bleeding to stop. If you want to stop it suddenly and within 24 hours, unfortunately there is no sure fire to do that, either with home remedies or with prescription pills. You can try using 2 plan B pills to try and stop the bleeding, but remember even if it stops the bleeding for now, it will return some time later and possibly much more heavier than usual.

So your best chance is using two plan B pills now.

Ok get 2 how often should I take them

Just two tablets once, remember these may cause worsening of bleeding later on.

You mean after it stops it
usually it would get worse after Possibly stopping it
Ok so I buy 2 plan b
That is your best option for now...... It has just, at best, a 40% chance of stopping it.
Ok so I just need to know should I buy them give me your best advice please
If you want my honest opinion, I would not suggest using anything, the reason being that while using the plan B may stop the period for one day the consequences later on are just not worth the possible benefit. It would have been one thing if this was a 100% effective treatment and in that case the side effects later on would have been worth the benefit but unfortunately it is not a 100% effective treatment and the risk of bleeding, abdominal pain etc is too great to warrant its use right now.
My medical advice is avoid its use but if you still want to use it, just be aware of the side effects which may occur after a few days.
I'm aware but If not that then what can I use it's my birthday weekend and I just want to enjoy it with going out of town
This is only freely available option that you have, you cant get norethisterone in this time frame, you can't get a depo shot immediately, the normal birth control pills take time to work....... There is no other option available this readily which you can use right now.
I have mentioned that all of the options are not 100% effective once a period has actually started, they sometimes work and sometimes they don't.......... This is why we physicians never recommend any drug as we know they won't work in most cases. Whenever a patient insists on still using one of these options, we advise about the side effects and then let them know what option may work for them. In your case, plan B is the only viable option. You wanted my best advice regarding plan B which I why I gave you my last response.
But if you still want to go ahead and still try to stop the period, then plan B is the option you have available to you.
Ok where do I get norethisterone from
It's is prescription only and would be prescribed by your doctor.... Which is why I said it is not possible for you ti get it immediately in such a short period of time.
don't get the norethisterone either
Well I'm waiting still

I have been offline managing patients in the ICU, as i said earlier, NONE of these actually work all the time, i mentioned that if you want to use something then plan B is your only option. Ill opt out as you are looking for a solution which does not exist, there is no drug that will guarantee stopping the period

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love. The other expert has opted out.

I agree with the other expert that there is no method that is certain to work for you. The Plan B is as good as you can get without seeing your doctor, but with any method, including the prescription medicines, it is more likely that the period will not be stopped.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor