OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to do insemination at home with donor sperm that…

Customer Question
Hi there. I am...

Hi there. I am trying to do insemination at home with donor sperm that is arriving tomorrow am at 10:30. I am in total confusion about when to inseminate. I have been doing OPK testing on Tues and Wed, no positive. Got a positive this morning but know that may not be accurate. A lighter line this evening. I have been tracking in an app for 9 months which says ovulation is tomorrow. At a loss!

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

It was last week and no

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
I am sending to photos that are confusing. The single test is yesterday, the next photo is back to back, darker line is this morning.
Also, the donor sperm is from a cyro bank and its washed and frozen, so I know the life length is shorter.
12/1/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

It is positive pregnancy test. The lighter earlier may have been due to inadequate building up of the hormone. The second test dark line is due to adequate pregnancy hormone.

Best is to confirm it by blood pregnancy test. If that is positive you may not do artificial insemination.

If you do not want to get the blood pregnancy test; you may still go ahead with the insemination (not to waste the semen).

But the present test is considered positive.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Did you read my question?
That is a ovulation predictor test
I am trying to time the insemination based on ovulation predictor results. Due to the cost and the process, it is imperative to time ovulation, I was confused about the shades of the ovulation prediction results, and when that means to go forward with insemination

Yes, I did read the question and took consideration of the ovulation predictor test too.

Here the question is;

Which is true; the present pregnancy test or ovulation test.

In the light of already positive pregnancy test, what do we do for ovulation predictor.

Thus I mentioned; get a blood pregnancy test for the confirmation. If it is positive, you do not need artificial insemination.

Otherwise you may go ahead with it.

It is privilege assisting you.

You did not assist me. I have not taken a pregnancy test. The photos I sent are of ovulation tests. I have not yet attempted to get pregnant. I am trying to time that process.
all three photos are of ovulation tests. One from yesterday, two from today.

Sorry for it. If you say I will opt out.

The artificial insemination can be done within 48 hours of positive ovulation test.

So you may do it tomorrow and this would work (as sample will arrive tomorrow).

My question really was, based on the tests, clearly yesterday was negative, was the morning test (darkest line) not an effective reading of positive ovulation? Since I have read that morning isn't the best time to test. The last test, was lighter.