OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I had a positive pregnancy test on Tuesday and another this

morning - my period was...
I had a positive pregnancy test on Tuesday and another this morning - my period was due today. First thing this morning I noticed a slightly brown tinge to my cervical mucous, and this has happened a couple more times, when I have wiped. I have some light cramping. I have just been to the bathroom again and there was a pea sized brown spot on my underwear. I think it is too late for this to be implantation bleeding but am wondering if it could be break through bleeding or another chemical pregnancy (I had one last month). I never had bleeding with my two daughters, but I am 10 years older now.
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Sorry I’m not sure what you mean?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a missed miscarriage at 12 weeks before I had my first child. I am 42 years old.
11/30/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Reading the whole description it sounds like implantation bleeding as in chemical pregnancy bleeding is heavy with moderate to severe cramps but in case of implantation it is light with mild cramping. So i think you have conceived and implantation can occur at the time of period. Brown blood usually shows old blood so it might have happened 2 to 3 days earlier. In any case you have to wait and watch and schedule your ultrasound appointment after 3 to 4 weeks time.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As I ovulated 14 days ago (I am pretty certain of this as I had a positive OPK test 15 days ago) isn’t it too late for implantation? I understood this was normally within 9-12 days? I did do a high impact aerobics class yesterday - could this have triggered the brown spotting?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, high impact aerobics can be the trigger. I would recommend you to avoid exertion for few days now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The aerobics could have triggered the delayed implantation bleed?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the advice I have rested all day today and will continue to over the next few days.

Thanks for the reply.

No, aerobics and high impact exercises can cause bleeding itself with cramping once implantation has already occurred.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
would that be an indication that I am about to miscarry?

Not really, it is a indication that take some rest but again it can be an old implantation bleeding itself .

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor