OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Where do I begin. November 25th of 2014 was when it all

Customer Question
started. I bled outside of...
where do I begin. November 25th of 2014 was when it all started. I bled outside of my period and started having chronic lower back pain. About a month or two later my periods would last longer two weeks at a time. I was suspicious so I went to my gyno and got a pap test done which came back normal along with an abdominal/pelvic ultrasound which showed nothing but a tiny cyst on my right ovary which has always been there. And my pelvic examination was normal was well. Fast forward symptoms continued and got worse so I went to another obgyn for a second opinion. I explained my symptoms to him he pretty much laughed and said he never had any patients at 24 with full blown cervical cancer. Did an exam everything looked normal also did a pelvic ultrasound and pap test everything came back normal. So he believes based off my symptoms I have PCOS but I heard that with PCOS you get less periods and have several cysts on your ovaries which neither is the case for me. I have had normal periods my whole life since I was 12 they always came on time but when I turned 22 in the winter of November 2014 all these symptoms arose and still till this day continue. My second gyno prescribed me birth control which has stopped the severe bleeding. I pretty much just only spot now once in a while when my period is due. But I tried one month to go off the birth control and the 2 week period was back. This makes me believe that the birth control could be masking cervical cancer bleeding. Fast forward to last week I went to get another pap from a new gyno and she said everything looked normal during the pelvic exam and I expressed my thoughts on Adenocarcinoma which I know is located higher up in the cervical canal. So she said shell swab me real good out my cervix and in it and send me to a transvaginal ultrasound which everything looked normal by the way. I have been sexually active from 17 years old. So could it be that I was so undortunate to develop cervical cancer in just 5 years and the paps never caught it because adenocarcinoma is too high up in the cervical canal? Could my pelvic exams just look normal cuz my outer cervix doesnt have cancer but the inside does and no one is catching it? The tests are telling me one thing but my body is telling me another. Even if the paps arent picking up cancer can the ultrasound if it was to be adenocarcinoma? Im pretty much awaiting my pap results again at this point in fear. I am 25 years old I really dont want to have cancer especially since I have always been on top of my paps. Here are some pictures of my pap results from all the years as well.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/30/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a cancer doctor

heavy menstrual bleeding is not a sign of cervical cancer.

I treat patients who have cervical cancer.

birth control pills will not mask bleeding from cervical cancer

pap smears will find both squamous and adenocarcinoma cancers of the cervix.

a speculum exam can see cervical cancer on the cervix

a finger exam can feel cervical cancer

you don't have cervical cancer.

I have heavy menstrual bleeding that lasts two weeks. Lower back pain everyday which is dull. Ive also had xpotting between periods the past 3 years. Have you looked at the tests results I sent you pictures of? Could the tests be missing adenocarcinoma because its too high up in the cervical canal? Also after 3 years of dymptoms would the transvaginal ultrasound pick up any signs of early or late cervical cancer?
Hello?

no, these tests would not be missing adenocarcinoma because it is too high up in the cervical canal.

yes, the transvaginal ultrasound would have picked up adenocarcinoma or cervical cancer

the pap smear does the brushing of the endocervical canal and would pick up adenocarcinoma as well.

you don't have cervical cancer.

Did you look at the results I sent you from 2012-2016? I heard it is difficult for paps to catch adenocarcinoma because its high in the cervix. When they insert the transvaginal probe does it look into the cervix as well like the inside of the canal?

yes, I saw your results of atypical cells.

there are no cancer cells.

it is not difficult for paps to pick up adenocarcinomas.

the endocervical brush samples cells there

you had a pap say that the endocervix was properly sampled.

and no cancer was seen

yes, teh transvaginal probe can also see through the cervix and see in the endocervical canal.

if you do not think this is cervical cancer what do you think this could be? Thr long lasting periods, pelvic pain, bleeding between sex, and lower back pain and longer then usual lasting periods? And are you sure the transvaginal probe shows inside the cervical canal? And if it was cancer after 3 years would something have shown up by now atleast on the ultrasound?

some women have heavier periods than others.

if going on birth control pills help, then you should take them

it is not masking any cancer.

yes, I am sure the probe sees inside the cervical canal

ultrasound probes can see inside the abdomen at the baby inside

you don't have cervical cancer

you don't have to worry about this.

it sounds like you have a lot of bad anxiety symptoms worrying about having cervical cancer.

But my periods were always normal my whole life up until a few years ago along with all these other symptoms that developed. There must be a reason why this is happening or has suddenly developed a few years ago. If not cervical cancer what could this be?

as we get older, our bodies change

periods can changes as well

you don't have cervical cancer.

your body's hormone levels can change and cause heavier periods

your estradiol and progesterone levels could be different now.

When i look online it says on google that lower back pain, heavier periods, bleeding between periods and bleeding after sex are all symptoms of cervical cancer?

google doesn't have a license to practice medicine.

I am a cancer doctor.

Have you ever had patients in their 20's? And if do what were the circumstances?
Are you there?
Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor