OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

What causes chronic vulvitis? Any recommendations?

Customer Question
What is the cause of...

What is the cause of chronic vulvitis? And what can be done for it? I have never had an irregular pap. I am 70 years old and I think my last pap was 2 years ago. Also, I have heart disease and I am a widow with no relationship.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there! Welcome to JustAnswer!

Chronic vulvitis (or chronic inflammation of the vulva) can be caused by many things - atrophy (which is where the vulvar and vaginal tissues thin and dry after menopause), yeast infections, lichen sclerosis (a skin change commonly seen after menopause where the skin becomes pale and thin), or even just contact dermatitis, meaning exposure to something that caused an allergic reaction.

When my patients have vulvar irritation, I do recommend the following:

- Eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day. This is a good way to replenish the healthy bacteria of the vagina and can reduce irritation.

- No tub baths, only showers and use unscented Dove bar and just let soapy water run over the area.

- Leave underwear off at night to allow air to circulate

- Use unscented for sensitive skin detergent

And of course, if you haven't had an exam recently, it's a good idea to make sure your doc takes a look at you to make sure all is well.

What further questions do you have for me?

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN