OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a re-occurring vaginal infection. It started at the…

Customer Question
I have a re-occurring vaginal...
I have a re-occurring vaginal infection. It started at the end of Sept. I have itching, burning and a white cottage cheese like discharge. I have been treated 6 times now. Once with a 7-day antibiotic, and a cream. The day I finished both, it came back. Then twice with over the counter yeast infection medicine. Then with an oral anti-fungal, two doses and then it came back, so one more dose, a very strong antibiotic and cream. It will not go away. I have been tested for gonareaha, clymydia and trich. It is not any of those. I did move to Florida at the time it started, from New York. It is achey and painful and when it first starts agin, there is also a bit of blood in the discharge. I have had chronic issues with fibroids and ovarian cysts, so am used to pain, but this is different. I am so frustrated with spending a few hundred dollars, and getting the same medicine over and over again, with no relief. What could be going on?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you should get a vaginal culture to see what infection is going on in your vagina

repeated treatment with antibiotics can kill good bacteria in your vagina which can lead to vaginal fungal infections.

vaginal bacterial infections should be treated with flagyl or metronidazole only

you should be taking a probiotic pills and eating yogurt to help add good bacteria into your system

your doctors should not be just giving you treatments like antibiotics and fungal agents without knowing what infection you have

They did do a culture last time I went and said i had a bacterial infection and gave me the antibiotics and anti fungal again. They said my ph was off. I am obviously concerned about all of it, but especially concerned with the blood. It is not a lot but def. some each time a new infection starts.

vaginal bacterial infections need flagyl (metronidazole)

and fungal infection needs diflucan and vaginal antifungal agents like clotrimazole or miconazole

then you need to take a probiotic pill as well and eat yogurt to add good bacteria into your system.

the bleeding will get better once the infection gets better

you should avoid sexual activity until you get this infection better

antibiotics should be taken after a meal with a full stomach.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor