OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Can a cyst affect conception / pregnancy if it ruptures? My…

Can a cyst affect conception...
Can a cyst affect conception / pregnancy if it ruptures? My husband and I are trying to concieve and a day after intercourse I started to release this blood and brown tinged fluid could it be coming from my cyst on the left ovary? Will that affect conception or ovulation this month?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/28/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Okay. Thank you.

Our ovaries are constantly making cysts that come and go - anytime we ovulate (release an egg), the ovary first forms a cyst (thin-walled fluid-filled sac) around that egg, then the cyst releases the egg (ovulates). The cyst then resorbs into the ovary, and the following month another cyst forms, from which another egg is ovulated. So cysts are pretty common. But sometimes that cyst wants to grow big, and rupture, and bleed out, and cause trouble. Typically, these cysts are within the abdominal cavity (not within the uterus), and any bleeding that would occur stays within the abdominal cavity (and does not get bled out from the vagina). A cyst rupture would not cause any change to your fertility or ovulation (in fact a cyst has to rupture for ovulation to occur).

The irregular bleeding could be coming from the cervix, or it could be spotting that sometimes happens with the hormonal changes that occur around ovulation. That being said, it's a good idea to make sure you're up to date on your pap especially if you are trying to conceive.

Here's a pic of the female anatomy.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN