OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My dr cannot find a reason for my itchiness. Just had

Customer Question
My dr cannot find...

My dr cannot find a reason for my itchiness

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Just had one,was perfect

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing,just turned 50

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/28/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. May I ask how your periods are? Have you ever had any surgery on your female parts?

Took diflucan, canesten, everything. Been checked 3 times, did pap, biopsy, culture too. Just started birth control pills because of my age my periods are awful. Had 2 c sections and a cyst removed 25 years ago

Despite your regular periods, because of your age I would expect that your female hormones are decreasing. This decrease in our female hormones can cause symptoms of menopause - hot flashes, vaginal dryness that can lead to itching, etc. Everyone experiences these symptoms differently and it could be that you are experiencing severe vaginal dryness related to the changes in hormones, which in turn is leading to the itching.

You've recently had a normal exam, so presumably all looked healthy down there, which is reassuring that there is no problem occurring.

I would recommend the following changes to see if they help the itching:

- Eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day. This is a good way to replenish the healthy bacteria in the vagina and keep the pH balance of the vagina normal.

- No tub baths, only showers. Use unscented Dove bar and let soapy water run over the tissues.

- Leave underwear off at night to let the area breathe.

- Use unscented for sensitive skin detergent.

- there are over the counter products called Luvena and Replens that can help restore moisture to the vagina and help with irritation.

since my pap was normal and i took diflucan anyways do you think i need flagystatin?i did have a yeast infection a month ago but since than my dr cannot find anything.just came back for the dr and everything looked normal to her. had a little discharge but she said that is normal too

Bacterial vaginosis is the imbalance of bacteria that we treat with Flagyl. If everything looked normal, I don't know that you need to add this antibiotic to the mix.

ok thank you,just worried about passing anything to my boyfriend.is it possible that this yeast infection wont go away/ and dr cant see it?

It's possible but very unlikely that you would pass yeast on to a male. yeast by definition needs a warm, moist environment (like the inside of the vagina) and the penis usually can't harbor yeast the way a vagina can. Usually we can see a yeast infection when one is there.

Can birth control cause itching

usually not, but everyone responds differently to hormones. Usually the hormones in the pills will actually help make the vagina a little healthier and more robust.

i guess i will just live with it than! so fun being 50! also can lubricants cause yeast infections?
is diflucan the best medicine for yeast

Diflucan is the best medicine for yeast. There are also over the counter treatments (like Monistat) for yeast. If you wanted to try one, I would recommend Monistat 3 or 7

Lubricants can potentially cause irritation which can lead to itching. Olive oil or coconut oil is also really good for lubrication and all natural so may irritate you less.

I read that coconut oil has sugars which will cause yeast infections. Have you heard of astroglide natural?

I have never heard of coconut oil causing a yeast infection, though I supposed in theory it is possible. Astroglide is great too.

Anychance a burning tongue has anything to do with perimenaupose

That is not a symptom typically associated with perimenopause or menopause.