OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a strange smell coming from vaginal discharge.. much…

I have a strange...

I have a strange smell coming from vaginal discharge.. much like dirty belly button smell.. I orginally had pink watery discharge but seems that mostly subsided. I was already on 1 week of Flagyl

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

I don't remember.. I was in China 2 years so I wasn't seeing a doctor. I might've had one at my last OBGYN appointment about 2.5 years ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

And nothing irregular I have an IUD, I wonder if that's causing some problem

11/28/2017
Dr Anil Kumar

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.

Vaginal discharge can indicate an infection especially if it has a foul odor.

Abnormal discharge is usually caused by yeast or bacterial infection.

High Vaginal Swab (HVS) is a technique used in Gynecology to obtain a sample of discharge from the vagina. This is then sent for culture and sensitivity. It is commonly used to test for the presence of candidiasis infection, bacterial vaginosis and trichomonas vaginalis.

You should consult your gynecologist and they may want to do a culture and sensitivity test to diagnose the type of infection for further management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Dr Anil Kumar