OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex on Saturday night…

Customer Question
My girlfriend and I had...
My girlfriend and I had unprotected sex on Saturday night and I pulled out but her period calendar said she was suppose to ovulate on the next day. So she took plan B within an hour and we went out and when we got back we had unprotected sex again and she took plan B again that morning. Does plan Bstill work if they are ovulating and what are the risks of pregnancy
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/27/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

The Plan B works by inhibiting ovulation. The first dose of Plan B would have protected her for even the act of intercourse that occurred after taking the first dose of Plan B.

You are correct that if an egg has already been released, the Plan B is less effective (and this is why it is not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy every time it's taken).

if she was already ovulating would she still be fine? I thought it prevents implantation

Plan B works by preventing ovulation. It might also prevent implanation, but the primary mechanism of action is by preventing ovulation in the first place. This is why it's only effective about 90% of the time (because if you take it after ovulation has already occurred, it is not effective.

if we had sex on the day before her ovulation and she took the plan B is she okay?

If she had not yet ovulated at the time you had sex, the Plan B should work.

should she take ella?

Ella works the same way Plan B does (by delaying ovulation). It works up to 5 days out from intercourse. I'm not sure that taking Ella will add any more protection because if she's ovulated just before taking the Ella, the Ella will not delay ovulation.

There is an IUD that prevents implantation if you place it up to 5 days out from intercourse, in case that is something she would be interested in.

Is there anything else I can do and based on my situation will she be okay

In general what I tell people is the "morning after" pills are about 90% effective at preventing pregnancy.

Something else you guys can consider to be safe is a certain IUD that can be placed up to 5 days after intercourse to prevent implantation, if you were looking for even more reassurance.

Even when ovulating the pill is 90% effective?

Correct because we do not know the exact hour/minute the egg was released.

Just checking to see if you had any further Qs.

If you are satisfied with the responses provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!