OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 50 year old woman who has been using tampons for years…

Customer Question
I'm a 50 year...

I'm a 50 year old woman who has been using tampons for years but when I tried to use one today it isn't working. It's like there is something blocking it from going in. I'm worried.

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

About a year ago and no.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 4 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask if you are having any pain or discomfort?
Is it possible there is already a tampon up there?

No pain or discomfort. That was my first thought but i couldn't find one so I grabbed a mirror and looked. There's no tampon but it looks like there is something round blocking most of where a tampon would go. I'm worried it's a tumor or something that's not supposed to be there. Thank you for your help.
I'm happy to just type for now.

When you press it with your finger what does it feel like?

I do not want to switch to the phone. I just paid $37 for a membership - can't afford another $50. Can we please type instead?

Sure.

Does it feel soft, or hard? If you press on it does it go back up inside the vagina?

Hold on. I just went to try to find out and it was gone and I got a tampon in. I don't know what is going on. I know I didn't imagine it.
I will go get a pap smear this week. Thank you for trying to help in the meantime. Is there anything else I should do?

It is possible that you have something called a "cystocele" or "rectocele". This is where relaxation of the vaginal walls occur and the bladder (which sits just above the vagina) or the rectum (which sits just below the vagina) can pouch into the vagina. This in general is referred to as "prolapse." Sometimes, weirdly, prolapse is more prominent than other times, depending on your vagina, how much you're squeezing your abdominal muscles, how relaxed the vagina is, etc.

Nothing to do. This is not a life threatening issue but it can affect quality of life if it keeps bothering you. (And it may never bother you again!). Your doc will be be able to let you know this week if all looks well down there.

Thank you very much!

You are welcome!

If you are satisfied with the response provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. I hope all goes well at your check up. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN