Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I switched birth controls from Tri- estarylla to

Customer Question

Hi. I switched birth controls from Tri- estarylla to Norgestimate and since the second week of pills I have had my period (13 days total so far). I'm 19 and have been on the pill for a year and used Norgstimate once before for one month when the pharmacy didn't have my normal brand and had no issues. I refilled my prescription and they gave me three months of Norgestimate. Is it normal to have my period before the placebo week and to have it last this long? Is there anything I can do to stop it? Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am also sexually active.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. I'm not sure why you changed. But the pill you were on is a combination pill. And norgestimate is progesterone only. A progesterone only pill is less effective at about 97%. In addition it doesnt control your cycle in any way and you can expect more abnormal and unscheduled bleeding and spotting. The way to get it to stop is to be on a combination pill.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you! I changed because they said it was the generic version of tri estarylla and the pharmacy was out of it.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 11 months ago.
I dont believe so