OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I switched birth controls from Tri- estarylla to

Customer Question
Hi. I switched birth controls...
Hi. I switched birth controls from Tri- estarylla to Norgestimate and since the second week of pills I have had my period (13 days total so far). I'm 19 and have been on the pill for a year and used Norgstimate once before for one month when the pharmacy didn't have my normal brand and had no issues. I refilled my prescription and they gave me three months of Norgestimate. Is it normal to have my period before the placebo week and to have it last this long? Is there anything I can do to stop it? Thanks!
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
I am also sexually active.
11/26/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. I'm not sure why you changed. But the pill you were on is a combination pill. And norgestimate is progesterone only. A progesterone only pill is less effective at about 97%. In addition it doesnt control your cycle in any way and you can expect more abnormal and unscheduled bleeding and spotting. The way to get it to stop is to be on a combination pill.
Okay thank you! I changed because they said it was the generic version of tri estarylla and the pharmacy was out of it.
I dont believe so