OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am 25 years old and have missed 2 periods so far. Around…

Customer Question
Hello, I am 25 years old...
I am 25 years old and have missed 2 periods so far. Around the time of my first missed period I started experiencing extreme dizziness and breathlessness after very light activity (such as walking up a hill or a flight of stairs) as well as random heart palpitations when stationnary. I am 5’5” and 120 lbs — I exercise for 30 - 60 mins on a daily basis in addition to walking approximately 1-2 miles everyday (I take public transportation/bicycling) and this has been my lifestyle for the past 4 years. My cycles have always been very regular, 22-24 days in length on average and I do not experience any cramping or premenstrual symptoms aside from sore breasts.
I am also experiencing extreme fatigue throughout the day and would need to take naps in the mid-afternoon; I rarely nap during the day and have always gotten 6-7 hours of sleep a night but recently I have been sleeping 8 hours at night in addition to a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon/mid-afternoon.
I suspected pregnancy when my period was 2 weeks late and took a HPT which came out negative. The next week I scheduled a visit with my OBGYN and she ordered an ultrasound which showed no abnormalities; she checked my ovaries as well and ruled out PCOS. At this point, she calculated that based on my last menstrual cycle I would be around 6 weeks pregnant, and she thought it was highly likely that it was too early to see any development. She order a blood test to be sure and the results showed nothing out of the ordinary, my beta hcg levels were undetectable so now I’m extremely confused. My appetite has increased and I’m beginning to experience slight nausea (although the nausea could be attributed to stress). I have been eating every 2-4 hours whereas before I was completely fine only eating 3 meals a day without any snacking. I also have been experiencing indigestion and acid reflux upon eating a normal sized meal. If I were indeed pregnant this would be my 9th week and I have not had any additional tests done since. I am planning on going back for another appointment next week if nothing changes and my period still does not occur, but I wanted some additional insight on what I could be experiencing as my OBGYN seemed very perplexed and told me that I my period may be delayed if I am stressed out (I wasn’t then, but now I am because I have no idea what is going on).
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Edit: additionally the heart palpitations have subsided (previously it felt like fluttering in my chest) but I still get random breathlessness and increased heart rate while stationary and always when doing any sort of physical activity no matter how strenuous (walking up hill has proven to be difficult and biking up hill nearly impossible, whereas before it was my normal routine). Mood swings have become quite common as well and I became aware of them when I began logging my mood daily.
11/26/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN

I can assure you that you symptoms and missed period are not due to pregnancy, with no hcg on your blood test.

As to what may be causing your symptoms, that is more difficult to determine. Many of your symptoms and your missed period may be due to stress, even though you state that you were not stressed before this all starte4d.

I would recommend that you see a good internist or family doctor to help figure out why you're feeling the way you are. Perhaps there is some obscure condition causing the symptoms. Some blood tests may be helpful.

It's not unusual for a woman to miss a period due to stress or illness, and then for her hormones to become unbalanced, which can lead to various changes, including nausea and mood swings.

Hopefully some good detective work by your doctors will get this figured out. It's not from pregnancy. Best wishes.