OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I went in for ultrasound at 5w 3 days and saw sac, yolk,

I went in for...

I went in for ultrasound at 5w 3 days and saw sac, yolk, pole and heartbeat. My Progesterone levels however came back at 13.5, the previous week they were 22....

Doctor's Assistant: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?

Last year some time, never had an irregular pap. I’ve had 2 mcs but my Progesterone never rose above 8 for either

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Don’t think so

11/7 (12dpo) hcg 29 prog 18
11/9 (14dpo) hcg 119 prog 22.9
11/16 hcg 3612
11/20 prog 13.5
I have been on 200mg Progesterone supplements since 12dpo. Since the 13.5 result came in, he put me on 400mg/day
11/23/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your ultrasound has shown as normal growing fetus and that is what really matters in the light of a low progesterone level. At this point in time, your doctor has done the right thing by increasing the dose of the supplemental progesterone given the low level of progesterone.

At 10 weeks however, the placenta takes over production of progesterone and at that time, if the level spring back to normal, then the hormone replacement therapy can be gradually tapered off. Progesterone is significant in pregnancy and for its maintenance, the risk of having a miscarriage increases several fold without adequate progesterone levels.

I would suggest that you keep a very close follow up with your Ob/Gyn, getting progesterone levels checked every 2 weeks and an ultrasound every 4 weeks to see the baby.

For now, everything that is being done is according to protocol.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Should I stay calm as long as I’m not experiencing bleeding or cramping?
I haven’t had either. Are oral or suppository form Progesterone, in your experience better for this issue?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, as far as there is no bleeding or cramping stay calm and avoid taking stress. Progesterone suppositories are better than pills though both are effective.

Dr Uzair,
If I have a miscarriage while taking the Progesterone supplements will I know? Will my pregnancy symptoms stop? (Sore breasts/nipples, bloated tummy, leg cramping, slight nausea)... or will the Progesterone cause those symptoms to continue anyway? If you miscarry on Progesterone how long does it take before you begin to bleed

Miscarriage symptoms can be somewhat masked but since you need to go for regular check ups, if this were to happen, you will find out. Even for women who are not on progesterone, a majority of them only finds out that she has had a miscarriage only on their antenatal check ups.

I will appreciate it if at this point in time you can leave a 5 star rating. I shall be happy to answer any follow up questions after you have rated the service.

Thank you.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor