OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a side of my vagina that is very red and itchy. I…

Customer Question
I have a side...

I have a side of my vagina that is very red and itchy

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

I just noticed it today

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just had an abnormal pap test

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/23/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask what were the results of your pap smear? Also do you have any vaginal discharge?

No discharge and they said my count was low ?

Count of what? Was the count low on the pap smear? Do you have the report with you? Were they talking about cell count?

the cell count, No i do not have the report

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

There are a few possibilities here which can cause this sort of problem. The first one is that you could have developed an infection of the vagina which is causing the redness and the itching. A bacterial infection can lead to these sort of symptoms and this would be diagnosed on a simple examination and a high vaginal swab and then treated with antibiotics. the other possibility is that of a yeast infection which can commonly cause symptoms like these EVEN WITHOUT the discharge, this would be diagnosed with a simple swab test and also with a clinical examination. Both of these possibilities are likely because your recently had a pap smear done and it is possible that you got the infection during the procedure which is now expressing itself. In case of a yeast infection simple OTC monistat would be useful along with otc antihistamines like zyrtec or claritin which would help in resolving the itching.

Regarding the pap smear, the abnormal cells need to be evaluated. Having a low cell count on its own does not indicate anything until we actually know the type of cells present. These cells can be atypical cells simply or even a more significant type of cells. A full report is needed before anything can be said on the abnormal pap smear.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.