OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 63 I Missed taking my PROGESTERONE pills one night and…

Customer Question
I'm 63 I Missed...

I'm 63 I Missed taking my PROGESTERONE pills one night and I've been bleeding for weeks. What needs to be done to make it stop?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Carvedilol, Progesterone, Atorvastain, entresto, dexilant

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

This happened on other time a year ago, I went to an OBGYN she, did all kinds of test

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
After test my OBGYN she said everything was fine. However, what stops the bleeding if you miss a Progesterone dose?
I'm way past menopause.
11/22/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

To be honest, at the age of 63, I would consider any vaginal bleeding to be abnormal. If it's been a year since you were last evaluated, I would strongly urge you to get checked out again. I would say at minimum you need an ultrasound and an endometrial biopsy (this is a biopsy of the inside lining of the uterus). I would recommend calling your doc back to get evaluated again. I am sorry you're experiencing this. Was your doc able to tell you why you were bleeding at all?

I have an appoint for Monday. However, the last time this happened it was because I missed my dose of PROGESTERONE. She did all the test you mentioned above. Everything checked out fine, test results showed no cancer. I'm due in Feb for my yearly exam. Last time she gave me prescription to stop the bleeding, I don't know what it was.

Are you taking the progesterone specifically to control the bleeding?

Why does your doctor think you are having bleeding at all? At the age of 63, you should not be having any bleeding at all. Progesterone is a specific treatment for certain problems of the uterus that can cause bleeding after menopause. Did your doc mention anything like that? Has anyone been able to tell you WHY you have bleeding if all the test results are normal?

Sorry for the delay I'm at work now. I had HRT and received all three harmonies. They decided I should no longer take the estrogen due to cancer risks and my history. However, felt I would benefit from the Progesterone and very low does twice a year of testosterone. So I've been taking the progesterone and testosterone for years almost 7 years now. I can't imagine how much I'd bleed if I quit it altogether, this current bleed due to me 7 or 8 hours late while traveling.
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 6 months ago

I see. Thank you.

I think seeing your doc on Monday and discussing the bleeding is a great idea.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.