OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Does Lithium 'cause' miscarriages? I'm confused because I…

Does Lithium 'cause' miscarriages?I'm confused...
Does Lithium 'cause' miscarriages?I'm confused because I read that when taken in the first trimester that it can cause the baby to have heart issues, but no mention of causing to have miscarriages anywhere.
11/22/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

As you mentioned, the fetal anomalies associated with lithium are well-described, but as to whether or not lithium causes miscarriage, there is conflicting data as to whether it does or does not. One study comparing pregnancy outcomes in women who took lithium versus women who did not showed no difference in the rate of miscarriage between the 2 groups, but another similar study showed a 10% higher rate of miscarriage in women who used lithium in pregnancy versus those who did not.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
WRT your last sentence: but another similar study showed a 10% higher rate of miscarriage in women who used lithium in pregnancy versus those who did not.Happen to know if it was one single study that showed the 10%, or was it multiple trials of this particular study?Thank you.

It was one single study.