OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

For last two and a half months I have pain during

Customer Question
For last two and...

For last two and a half months I have pain during intercourse near the entrance

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Once it is rubricated it is better

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I visited my first obgyn on september and he presented pepsmear and herpes test

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: OB GYN
I started diary log to organize approximate date and symptoms
11/21/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 8 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. May I ask how old you are? What are your periods like?

i am 24 year old and i have period near 14th or 15th of the month. I started diary log to organize approximate date and symptoms and I will send you the log
Diary Logs9/15 First pain during intercourse (pain using tempons)
Worsened during period so tried Monistat but it was itching and too much burning so took it out
9/22 First visit OBGYN and tested -Pep-smear & Herpes
*TEST CAME OUT NEGATIVE BUT STILL HAD THE SAME PAIN OF ITCHING AND BURNING ALSO, EVERY TIME DURING THE INTERCOURSE RELATIONSHIP, HAD BURNING PAIN AROUND THE OPENING OF VAGINA.
10/16 Severe pain during period again and had one big blister between anal & vagina area
10/23 Revisit OBGYN but blister was gone and he prescribed me with Flagyl
10/24 Started taking Flagyl for 7 days
*DURING THIS PERIOD, SMALL BLEED NEAR ANAL AREA
11/07 Experienced same pain at entrance of vagina during relationship and had to stop
*WITHIN THESE TWO MONTHS MY URINE WAS A BIT CLOUDY AND DARKER PRETTY OFTEN
*ALSO TOOK VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS (DOUBLE X, OMEGA, AND VITAMIN B)11/14 ~11/19 Period
11/17 had relationship during period
11/17 burning pain while urinating
11/17~11/19 uncomfortable when wearing tight pants
also found a red circle near urinating area
11/15~ ing got a common cold and had Muccinex, NyQuil, and Alleve
11/19 pain during the first 2 minutes of intercourse relationship (almost the end of period )

If your recent exam and testing were normal, and lubrication helps the pain, I would say this is likely nothing to worry about.

That being said, discomfort with intercourse can be very distressing. I do recommend using lubrication all the time. There are some women who need lubricants to have sex their whole lives. If you have something over the counter that you like, that is great. Otherwise coconut oil or olive oil is all natural and works great too.

I also recommend trying different positions. You will find that some positions are more comfortable for you than others.

If all else fails, it could be that the muscles that comprise the vaginal opening are tensing up at the time of intercourse. This is a condition called "vaginismus" and it is very treatable! There's a website called vaginismus.com where you can find forums and resources to work on relaxing the muscles. There are also products called "vaginal dilators" that you practice inserting and removing to help train the muscles to relax.

Do you have any further Qs for me?

Thank you for your answer, but this is the first time having this type of pain during relationship. And today, I noticed that I had tear between anus and vagina area about a centimeter long. It stings and seems like bleeding a bit. And also my anus area is bleeding
I also took a picture do you mind seeing it?

Sure.

Can this be a vulvar pain? It is so weird because I never had this pain before

Ah I see.

Well this little tear could definitely be the cause of a lot of your pain. Probably when you use lubricant it's like a little "barrier" protecting it from the friction of intercourse.

DId your doctor visualize this area for himself? Did he take a swab of this area to test it for herpes?

When i first visited the office, he did a couture test? And the lab result was negative.. but i wonder if that is accurate. Is this a symptom of herpes?

Yes, herpes can look like a small "tear" and it can be very painful.

The testing isn't perfect. You could ask your doc for a course of medication to treat herpes, on the off-chance that it is herpes.

I got this tear today.

So your doctor has not visualized this tear, nor have they done a culture of this tear?

Somehow my doctor told me to come back when its worst because the test result is all normal and I had to pay 200 for tesing since i dont have insurance.. and iam concerned to repay the amount to retest it..

I think the first step would be to have a herpes swab done of this specific, exact area.

If it's negative, we can feel better that it's not herpes, and chalk it up to some other irritation that's causing your skin to tear (like how your knuckles can crack and bleed in cold weather)

He has done the culture of the test when I first visited
this tear is new, when he did swab of the tear it was back in september

So the tear has come and gone?

Again, if it were herpes, the herpes ulcerations (which can sometimes look like the pic you sent) can also come and go.

As I mentioned before, The testing isn't perfect. You could ask your doc for a course of medication to treat herpes, on the off-chance that it is herpes. It could also be some other irritation that's causing your skin to tear (like how your knuckles can crack and bleed in cold weather)

Also my urine is sometimes a bit cloudy since I experienced pain. I used to have lot of discharge for last month but after I took flagyl it got better

Ok. Discharge would not cause the skin to tear.

I apologize, I have to leave my desk now to see patients. If you have further Qs please leave them here and I will get to them when I'm back at my desk!

Okay than you!
I just called the doctor’s office with your help, and the nurse said they cant prescribe unless I revisit the office. This office is giving me hard time when I visit the Doctor since to me, its my first time visiting a male obgyn and I get tensed up. But it seems like he is careless about my concern ..and also if I revisit the office it is $75 dollars for visit and additional depending on what he performs. What should I do.. if you can help me. I did lab test from this office and paid 300 dollars and the result came out negative. In case he reswab and retest my lesion, he said I have to pay him again for that.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your doc.

I agree that the "tear" you've got isn't a classic presentation for herpes. Herpes usually presents with very tender, very sore little blisters or ulcers around the vaginal opening. You can have 1 or more than 1. They are usually exquisitely painful to the touch (not just with intercourse) and burn when urine runs over them, but everyone is different.

If you have a health department or planned parenthood nearby, they can check you out too. Sometimes when things don't neatly fit into a box, it helps to have more opinions.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the responses received please leave a review by clicking the stars above. Thank you!