OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

For the last 2-3 weeks I️ have been expecting sharp pain in…

HiFor the last 2-3 weeks...
HiFor the last 2-3 weeks I️ have been expecting sharp pain in my right nipple. I️ feel the pain when I️ showed and water hits it. It’s a bit tender to the touch but I️ mainly feel it when water hits it.I️ am not pregnant and not breastfeeding. I️ am 42.I️ read that pain in one nipple could be an early symptom of an infection or cancer. I️ read that if it becomes inverted, I️ should contact my doctor.Besides that is there anything I️ should be looking for that should cause me to see my dr?Many thanks
Please forgive the typos- autocorrect at its finest
11/21/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Have you had a mammogram recently?

Hi - thank you for responding. Yes in April and the findings were that I️ have dense tissue but nothing that was alarming.

Thank you.

Nipple pain and sensitivity (like other breast pain and sensitivity) is pretty common and can come and go. The "red flags" that make us worry are if you have a lump that is rock hard, fixed in place (as opposed to being mobile) or distinctly tender to the touch.

All that being said, because unfortunately breast cancer is so common, we tend to take such symptoms very seriously. You've up to date on your mammogram so you don't need another one until next year, but it may not be a bad idea to call your doc to get an order for an ultrasound of that breast (especially as you have dense breast tissue) to take another look.

Thank you! I️ will do that. Unfortunately my mother’s sisters both passed because of Cancer; one with breast and the other from Ovarian so I’m always concerned about this.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope all turns out well (it usually does, especially if your mammogram was normal.)

If you are satisfied with the response provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you in advance!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN