OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have never had intercourse with a man nor have I ever used…

Customer Question
I have never had...

I have never had intercourse with a man nor have I ever used a sex toy with anybody. I am a lesbian and have only had oral sex with women. My question is, If I have ever contracted HPV orally, could that spread to the cervix from the mouth area? Does the HPV infection have to get close to the cervix to cause cervical cancer?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Good and yes, it is my first time

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/21/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Eric Goldstein, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Eric Goldstein

Hello. My name is***** and I just read through your question.

HPV infection in the mouth will not cause cervical cancer. It can, however, cause cancer on the throat and pharynx. So it is still very important, even if you haven't engaged in intercourse, to be very careful.

Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein
Eric Goldstein, Doctor