OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I turned 43 just about 6 weeks ago. I've never been

Customer Question
I turned 43 just...

I turned 43 just about 6 weeks ago. I've never been pregnant. Always 100% to the day, for the most part, on schedule. I remember having my cycle start 8/9 and seeming normal. Went away for a couple of weeks, during a stressful time. My husband had left me, a category 4 hurricane hit my house while I was gone, my father died hours after the hurricane hit, and then some. I don't recall having any cycle in September. I wasn't home to get pregnant. My medication was changed from 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL to 300 mg and Gabapentin from 300 mg to 1200 mg q.d. around 9/25. I never remember having anything happen in September. Oh yeah, hurricane/father's death was 9/10 and 9/11. I noticed it didn't seem I was having my cycle.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

So, 8/9 it lasted about 4 days and normal.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Never remmber September happening.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Thank you for the information. Please let me know what questions I can answer for you and I'm happy to do so.

I was still trying to type, but it took my question too soon.So, in October it seemed to be pretty normal from 10/23-10/27. It stopped, and November 1st there was bleeding just once. Then Tuesday 11/14 I started bleeding again and haven't stopped. It's getting heavier at times. When I pee I can actually see blood coming out from my vagina, not my urine stream. I'm concerned, but not sure if it could just be due to menopause at this point. I'm nauseated by certain foods and smells. Things I've always like, like bacon made me sick last night. When the bleeding started again last Tuesday, I actually took a pregnancy test that appears negative.I'm scared, but wondered if medication could've done it because they were changed around the last time it was normal.

The medication change is the most likely explanation for these changes and recent heavy menstrual flow.

I don't think this is a presentation of something more sinister such as cancer.

However, menopause has something to do with it as well probably as the irregularity demonstrates.

I wouldn't be worried about endometrial cancer at this time or anything more serious. However, if the bleeding doesn't resolve in the next 1-2 weeks or drastically reduce, it would be wise to have a pap smear done along with a scraping of the endometrial tissue to make sure there is nothing dangerous going on. The endometrial biopsy is not much different from a regular pap.

My mother had uterine cancer, tots hysterectomy, in November 2015.I also just recently, abruptly, had to stop amlodipine 5 mg q.d. and metoprolol XL 25 mg b.i.d. because I live where the category 4 hurricane hit in September, my father died the next day and my husband abandoned me. I haven't had time to take care of things.

It sounds like you've had a lot of stress to deal with.

Uterine cancer is incredibly rare and often it wouldn't present this way.

I think you would be safe waiting this out another 1-2 weeks and it should resolve.

If it doesn't it would be a safe enough window to get seen by your doctor.

my grandfather died from colon/liver cancer. It apparently skips a generation. Well, my 35-year-old cousin died a year ago yesterday from the same thing. It's all of us cousins susceptible to it. She had colon cancer that invaded all lives of her liver.

Colon and liver cancer aren't genetic so there would be no generational skipping.

Colon cancer has to do with your lifestyle and diet which is why it runs in some families since most families will have the same diet.

Would you be able to get in to see your doctor sooner so that a test can be done to rule out cancer? It would seem that it might give you a lot of peace of mind if the test showed that it's not cancer.

Well, her doctors to her that about the type she had. If I was actively bleeding when I took a pregnancy test, could it have thrown the results off?I also forgot to say that I don't have normal symptoms associated with my cycle, such as breast tenderness, cramping, etc. Today some mild cramping, but this new round started last Tuesday.

No, active bleeding wouldn't throw off the result of a pregnancy test.

Generally with erratic periods you won't get normal ovulation and so won't experience the traditional breast tenderness and cramping.

I noticed today that I hadn't noticed the whole ovulating part too. It took me until today to realize it. Like I said, I wondered if it was the meds. Now, I've lost 20 pounds since 9/25, kind of from trying to eat a little, not able to exercise, but I feel super sensitive to smells and taste too. I do find myself running to a bathroom to get sick when I smell something or try to drink something/take medicine.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier, the meds would make the most sense as the cause for these irregular menses.

The nausea and smell and taste sensitivity could be from hormone irregularities but that's hard to establish without doing some blood tests to see what the exact cause could be.

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Otherwise I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please click on the rating button when ready.

Dr. Mo

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD