OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having late menstruation for 5 months now. I have

Customer Question
Hi i am having...

Hi i am having late menstruation for 5 months now

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hypothyroidism controled

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 5 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Are you periods irregular?

How many days late are the periods?

47
for the last 3 years yes its been irregular at one time the period did not show up for continuous months and the resume
i did not get it for the last 5 months

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

ok i will call later. i will bring my blood test results for fsh and others

This is likely to be perimenopause, or premenopause. Usually premenopause consist or irregular period in duration, cycle and flow and can continue for 5 years or more. But some times there can be a sudden cessation of the periods. This results from loss of ovarian sensitivity to gonadotropin stimulation, which is directly related to follicular decline and dysfunction. Menstruation ceases as ovarian follicle stores are depleted and ovarian function is diminished. This leads to an eventual decreased production of estrogen by the ovaries and decreased stimulation of the endometrial lining. Perimenopause typically consists of a change in the amount or duration of menstrual flow, a change in the length of the menstrual cycle, and skipped menstrual cycles. Many women go through the transition of regular menses to irregular menses to amenorrhea (cessation of period) as they approach menopause. Since there is a cessation of the period, following investigations are done (to differentiate perimenopause / menopause with any hormonal illness);

1) FSH, LH, and estrogen levels: if the FSH is markedly elevated and the estrogen level is markedly depressed, constitutes laboratory diagnosis of ovarian failure.

2) TSH to rule out thyroid dysfunction

3) Prolactin level

4) A general chemistry profile to check for any systemic diseases

5) Pelvic ultrasound to check endometrial stripe

An adequate biologic marker for menopause does not exist. Documentation of amenorrhea (absence of period) for at least 1 year with an associated serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) level of greater than 50 IU/mL and a circulating serum estradiol level of less than 50 pg/mL have been used. Natural menopause is defined as the permanent cessation of menstruation resulting from the loss of ovarian follicular activity or follicle depletion. Natural menopause is recognized to have occurred after 12 consecutive months of amenorrhea for which there is no other pathologic or physiologic cause. Menopause occurs with the final menstrual period, which is known with certainty only in retrospect a year or more after the event.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor