OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I've had my period for over a week...it started with what…

I've had my period...

I've had my period for over a week...it started with what looked like brown "discharge" a week ago, then I started getting sore breasts and cramps and now it's a slow red flow...I am on birth control (Nexplanon) that will be need to be replaced/taken out in March...I've also gained some healthy weight back (previously wasn't getting a period), so wondering if this has anything to do with the healthy weight gain

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

My lower abdominal area feels crampy, but nothing abnormal My periods have not been regular for years...almost 10 years (suffered from an eating disorder for a long while)...my thought was that this is my body just re-regulating itself, but wanted to be sure I was also tested 6 mo. ago for STDs and HPV Got a pap smear

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than the time when I was underweight, no

11/20/2017
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This could be related

have you had hormone tests or thyroid tested?

could you be pregnant?

Would I be bleeding if I'm pregnant?
have not had a hormone or thyroid test

You could be

implantation bleeding

when the embryo inserts into the uterus

hormone testing should be done if it persists for sure

when was your last pap? how old are you?

last PAP was in late May

Ok good.

that is a good sign

how old are you?

29

Ok all that is good

You will be fine

just get checked for the above

is this helpful?

taking a pregnancy test...and then who do I go for the hormone/thyroid?

See your GYN or your primary

either one can do it

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor