OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

This is regarding IVF: I turned 40 on Nov 16th, my husband…

Customer Question
This is regarding IVF:I turned...
This is regarding IVF:I turned 40 on Nov 16th, my husband is 45. His sperm test came back above average. The reason we were recommended IVF was due to one Trisomy 21 pregnancy, one chemical and one blighted ovum, so the doctors were convinced the problem is my eggs, even though I have been on serious medication due to severe Interstitial Cystitis.First IVF cycle 8 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 5 fertilized, 4 embryos, 3 were able to be biopsied for PGS = 2 normal embryos, one abnormal (Trisomy 21 and monosomy 9). According to our RE, all 4 original embryos had high grades.Second IVF cycle immediately after the first, the same exact medication protocol, 6 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, the best one made it to day 5 and froze. The quality was very poor.My good friend who is the biochemist said the following: “My immediate response is that there was a mistake done in the protocol with these eggs. If there were only one or two embryos I would think that MAYBE there was a problem with the eggs this time. That NONE developed into embryos suggests the protocol was not performed properly.”I’d love to have a second opinion from an impartial RE as to whether things like that do happen or it is likely a protocol lapse. My RE sounds rather odd about this, he is putting the case up for review but keeps insisting that “it’s nobody’s fault”and “nobody was touching them” (the specimens in the lab). It was weird. I’m realistic that human errors do happen and will happen, but I am just not convinced that the RE told us the whole truth, and it’s really important for me to trust my doctor.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/20/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. Chances of pregnancy past 40 decrease dramatically. This is due to the age of your eggs. My suspicion is that your egg quality is poor due to age and thats why you are not getting pregnant. I doubt its due to any protocol issue. The multiple trisomy 21 issues you have had also indicate poor egg quality. I'm really sorry
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD