OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

Been dealing with a resistant yeast infection for over two

months. Started with fluconazole...
Been dealing with a resistant yeast infection for over two months. Started with fluconazole 150 mg. with 2 tabs four days apart and then four tabs in a row. Neither of these attempts were successful. I changed doctors after being told I needed to wait 2 weeks to be seen again. On to a gynecologist and we Ooops
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: Never had an irregular pap. Had one last fall and need to get that done next month. My new primary spotted that my blood sugar was high on my last blood work so I have cut out sugar as much as humanly possible and doing rephresh probiotic. That has made improvements and I have a new script for 200 mg. of fluconazole that I just started today. It's feeling worse which I'm guessing is the reaction to yeast die-off.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Generally good. I have fibromyalgia so I have my struggles and my diet hasn't been great. Like an idiot I was eating Halloween candy while taking the anti-fungal. In the back of my head I know sugar is awful for yeast but somehow it didn't connect.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am on an elevated amount (in some circles) of Armour Thyroid. Five years ago I was being told my TSH was "perfect" and I was 80 lbs. heavier and miserable with thinning hair and dry skin, etc.
11/20/2017
Dr. Vakul Aren

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your your query.You need to rule out diabetes/Prediabetes which will interfere with your antifungal therapy.Similarly,confirm that thyroid test levels including TSH are within euthyroid range.Use of Itraconazole/Sporanex orally for 2-4 weeks should help.THey should be able to cure your fungal problem,please ensure your partner is also treated for fungal infection at the same time as you otherwise you will be passing the infection to and fro between yourself.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Did a A1C test and my number was 5.6. Have had not had sex since this all started and husband is as frustrated as I am. Should I keep up with the rephresh or is there another probiotic you like better? What do you think about probiotic vaginal suppositories? This is the only thing that seems to help with the symptoms at least.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I'm going back the first week of December to see new primary about where I'm at with my thyroid numbers. They are close to the top of the range but I was told five years ago I was "in range" and felt awful. I've lost 80 lbs and don't feel like death warmed over every day in spite of the fibromyalgia diagnosis. My gynecologist has been throwing Mycolog and a possible Medrol pack at me until I insisted on a blood test and while getting blood drawn, she says "Oh look there's some yeast on the slide" under the microscope. This was a week ago and I've still not seen the results.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sporanox shows interactions with acetaminophen which I take every day with the small dose of hydrocodone for the fibromyalgia and I recently started amlodipine for high blood pressure. Sounds like that would rule out using it.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Do you have an opinion on probiotic vaginal suppositories or a favorite oral women's probiotic like rePhresh?? I think I need to talk to my gyno about the fluconazole script because I see there is an interaction listed with hydrocone which I take every day.

I would prefer the vaginal suppositories any day over oral supplements.Getting your thyroid and blood sugar levels regularised is essential for the therapy as well as preventing further weight loss.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My weight has stayed the same for the last year or so. I am at 24.5 on the BMI so I am not overly thin for my height. Can I get the vaginal suppositories through my gynecologist? I've seen the most improvement from probiotics.

Yes,your Gynaecologist will be able to prescribe the suppositories.

Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren
Dr. Vakul Aren, Doctor