OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I am now 16-17 weeks pregnant. I had sex on July 8th, the…

I am now 16-17...

I am now 16-17 weeks pregnant. I had sex on July 8th, the day after my period ended and took the morning after pill about 4-5 days later. I bled heavy like a period July 21st and continued having unprotected sex after this. I had egg white mucus on August 6th which is when I believe I got pregnant. I had an ultrasound on September 1st and no fetal pole was shown so they guessed around 5 1/2 weeks along. I’ve had ultrasounds every other week since and all of the estimates due dates have come up as April 27th-May 4th. Is there any possibility at all that I could have gotten pregnant from the July 8th incident a month prior? It was a huge mistake and I am terrified. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

Okay thank you

Hi there. Based on the events you describe, it is very, very unlikely that the July 8th incident is what resulted in this pregnancy. The earliest possible due date you were given is 4/27/18. Based on this due date, the earliest you could have had sex to result in this due date would have been 7/30/17. You've been getting ultrasounds since the first trimester so we know that this due date is accurate to within 1 week. Even with +/- 1 week of error, that pushes the date of conception back to 7/23/17. This is still 15 days after the July 8th incident.

All of this plus the fact that you took the morning after pill, and had heavy bleeding 2 weeks later, all can be reassuring that the July 8th incident did not result in this pregnancy.

Okay, perfect. So it’s really not something that I should be concerned about at all? I also drank about 3-4 times in the beginning because I didn’t think I was going to go forward with the pregnancy. It was only wine but would that cause fetal alcohol syndrome?

No problem with the drinking - happens very often before women realize they're pregnant and usually will not cause any abnormalities as long as it's not ongoing.

I would not be concerned that the July 8th incident resulted in this pregnancy.

Thank you so much!

You are welcome. Good luck with everything.

If you are satisfied with the responses provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
One more question, are the ultrasounds I’ve had up until now the most accurate at dating the pregnancy? If I had the baby 2 weeks early or something then would I worry that they were off?

The earlier the ultrasound is, the more accurate it its. So I would trust the due date they gave you with your early ultrasounds. The further along a pregnancy gets, the harder it is to be precise in estimating the age.

Ok so even if I had the baby early, it doesn’t change the date of conception?

correct

Sorry for all the questions, thank you!

No problem. You are welcome.

Sorry to keep asking questions, when my HCG was checked through a blood draw, before it even came up as positive on the doctors urine test, it was August 18th and the level was 7. Is that further proof that it could not be the July 8th incident?

Correct.

Based on the information, do you think a paternity test would even be needed or can I rest assured that the possibility isn’t there?
I got a positive first response pregnancy test on August 18th, I went to the dr that day and their urine test still came up negative at that point if that helps at all.

I think you can feel pretty confident that the July 8th incident did not result in this pregnancy. A paternity test would reassure you of the father, if that is something you wanted to do.

But based on the information, it wouldn’t really be necessary other than peace of mind?

Correct.

Thank you!