OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question... I develop cold sores for a very time,

I have a question... ...

I have a question...

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I develop cold sores for a very long time, last week I kissed someone and he gave me oral sex, 2 days later I had a cold sore...

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

4 days later I had itching, burning very mildly but symptoms are there I don't have a fever I have lower abdomen and lower back mild pain I am very worried

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I have asthma

11/20/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

I wanted to add that I do not have any sores or blisters in my vaginal area I just have mild itching and burning but I have some lower abdomen and back pain also mild

It sounds like you are concerned that the cold sore might have been transmitted to the genitals?

Cold sores are very common, and related to a very common virus called HSV-1. Typically when we think of genital herpes, it is related to a virus called HSV-2. There can be a lot of cross-transmission of HSV-1 to the genitals and vice versa.

The hallmark of genital herpes is little blisters (closed or open) that are very, very painful. So painful that it hurts to urinate. They typically are not subtle. The itching/burning you're experiencing could indicate an impending outbreak, but if you do not develop an actual outbreak (the blisters), I think you're good.

The itching and burning started on Tuesday I check myself everyday and I do not see any blisters or ulcers, I started a monistat vaginal suppositories and that helped me with the symptoms however I have been reading a lot and I do have abdominal and lower back pain no fever, and it doesn’t hurt to unrinate. How long after itching and burning would the blisters appear?

Usually if you were going to have an outbreak it would occur within a matter of days.

The monistat treats yeast infections so it is possible that you had a yeast infection that the monistat helped to treat.

All of this being said, it's not an emergency but I do think it's a good idea to see a doc once in a while to make sure you're up to date on your pap smear and do STD testing if you wish.

In how many days average would an outbreak appear after first symptoms?

Usually 4 days but cases have been reported even after 12 days. That being said, it actually sounds like your symptoms are getting better, not worse.

They are not getting worse for now I think. Could you please describe what the outbreaks look like? I have seen on google that they look like ulcers and I don’t have that but inside the Of the labia manors it just looks a bit reddish like tender.

They look like tiny, tiny blisters. Sometimes the blisters "unroof" and it look like a little, moist crater. They can be tiny. And they are VERY painful and tender.

Ok I don’t have that at least yet. What about my other symptoms itching and burning and lower back and abdomen pain, I also had vaginal discharge that looked like cottage cheese the first day before I used the monistat, now the discharge has become yellowish light brownish. Could those symptoms be related to something else? Or are they all herpes symptoms?

Cottage cheese sounds like a yeast infection. Besides the itching and burning nothing else really sounds like herpes. You could be having more discharge now from your yeast infection healng up, and of course the monistat comes back out too.

Ok so in your opinion if I don’t get a breakout I shouldn’t be worried about herpes?

If you never have a breakout, I would not worry about herpes.

But I read online that people can have herpes and never have an outbreak is that true?
And last question if I had an outbreak I would see it and feel it for sure right? Like it would be very painful?

Many people are exposed to herpes but never actually have an outbreak themselves.

While it is theoretically possible to "have" herpes but never actually develop an outbreak, and still be able to transmit herpes to someone else, I would describe this scenario as extremely, extremely unlikely.

Yes, herpes outbreaks are not subtle. Typically very painful.

Ok thank you so much for your help. I will keep on checking for outbreaks but I feel a little relieved.
Very last question, yiest infection + lower abdomen pain could be related to what?

The yeast can cause irritation of your uterus, which can in turn cause lower abdominal pain.

Glad I could help out. Hang in there. Get rest, drink plenty of fluids, and try eating a cup of Activia yogurt every day. Good way to boost the healthy bacteria in the vagina and reduce the risk of getting yeast infections in the future.

If you are satisfied with the responses provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. I can still answer Qs for you even after you've provided a rating. Thank you!

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Thank you so much for your help. My world would end if I get that horrible disease it’s already bad enough to get cold sores. I will leave amazing rating.
Thank you again

You are most welcome. Feel free to contact me with further Qs. Good luck to you.