OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

I have some very light inconsistent bleeding and I am

I have some very...

I have some very light inconsistent bleeding and I am wondering if this is menopause

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am taking no meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am having night sweats and skin issues.

11/18/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. How old are you? Can you describe your bleeding pattern for me in a bit more detail?

I am 54 years old. It is light bleeding. Sometimes it just appears on the toilet paper or on the pantiliner. Sometimes I have this for a day or two and then it goes away.

Thank you.

The average age of menopause is 51, and we typically describe menopause as being when your periods have been gone for a full year. In the years preceding menopause, the periods can change, in really any which way. They can become more spaced out and prolonged, or more frequent but shorter, or sometimes women feel like they're bleeding all the time. If you're just having light bleeding occasionally, it's hard to know if these are just peri-menopausal changes (the changes in the bleeding pattern that occur around menopause) or if you've gone though menopause and are now having postmenopausal bleeding. The reason it matters is because bleeding after menopause is worthy of evaluation (with ultrasound, and/or biopsy of the inside lining of the uterus) to make sure there are no problems inside the uterus.

It is probably a good idea to see a gynecologist or family doc to be evaluated and make sure all is well, and make sure you're up to date on your pap smear.

I am also having hot flashes and night sweats. I was just wondering if I am starting to go through menopause.

It does sound like it. Hot flashes and night sweats are symptoms of menopause.

Ok thank you for your time.

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have any further Qs.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Dr. J
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN