OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Please. I was on birth control but stop using it on

Hello, yes please. I...

Hello, yes please. I was on birth control but stop using it on september, my period came 5 days later than usual, from october 25th to octover 31st and it came again on november 8th to the 11th. I went to the gp and checked mg ovaries (i have pos

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Metformin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a cyst remove from my ovary

After the 8th i had spotting on the 16th (november again).
11/17/2017
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Reviewing your question and will be with you shortly.

So it sounds like you have a history of PCOS and you are on metformin. You stopped birth control pills about 2 months ago, and have had some irregular bleeding since then.

Unfortunately irregular bleeding is pretty common with PCOS. Usually the way a menstrual cycle works is, you make some female hormones that thicken the lining of your uterus, then you ovulate (release an egg), and then, if no pregnancy occurs, you shed that lining (a period), and then the whole cycle starts all over again. With PCOS, your ovary doesn't release an egg every month like it's supposed to, but you do still keep making the hormones that thicken your lining, so that thick lining can fragment off irregularly and cause irregular bleeding and spotting. Or maybe you do occasionally release an egg and shed your lining, but it doesn't happen monthly the way it's supposed to.

The birth control pills are pretty good at regulating your periods and giving you a monthly cycle, but now that you're off the pills, what's probably happening is that your cycles are going back to their normal state.

What other Qs do you have for me?

Even a week apart from each other?

Yes, unfortunately, this type of irregular bleeding can happen when people have PCOS.

Going back on the pills can help regulate your periods and make them more predictable, if that is an option for you.

I should expect thia type of irregular bleeding and even spotting?

Yes. And it can be irregular in any which way - completely unpredictable. You may go weeks or months without bleeding then start up with the irregular bleeding again.

I typically tell my patients with PCOS that as long as they're having at least 1 period every 3 months, that is enough to keep your uterus healthy.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN
Oh. Thank you very much