OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My tampon goes sideways in my vagina. I have a cold and it

Customer Question
My tampon goes sideways in...
My tampon goes sideways in my vagina
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I have a cold and it has been happening since my first period at 12 i am now 24
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/17/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 29 days ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Normally, the eampon can be inserted straight up in the vagina. This is because in most women, the uterus is anterverted ( curves forward) and the cervix (mouth of the uterus) is situated in the posterior and upper part of the vagina.

In some women, however, the uterus may be retroverted (curved backwards) and this pushes the cervix forwards and somewhat lower down. In this case, the tampon may not find space to be inserted straight up and may slip to a sideways position.

A retroverted uterus is normal and you have no cause for worry.

But, sometimes a small cyst or other growths inside the vagina may also take up space, causing the tampon to slip sideways.

Please consult an Obgyn for a checkup.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating to leave feedback.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor