OB GYN

Ob-Gyn questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

OB GYN

My wife has had multiple affairs, and recently we took a

Customer Question
trip and molluscum appeared in...
My wife has had multiple affairs, and recently we took a trip and molluscum appeared in her vaginal area. It appeared 3 days after she claims to have contracted it from an airplane toilet seat that had some wetness on it she didn’t notice. This seemed a little odd, but she does have mild eczema. She recently had an affair with a new person so I’m not sure I can trust the story. Could you tell me the likelihood of contracting molluscum from a toilet seat with an outbreak occurring in a matter of days? Does this happen?
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: I’m a guy, but she hasn’t ever told me about something occurring on her Pap smear.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Just the eczema
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: OB GYN
11/16/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 29 days ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your situation. Actually the AVERAGE incubation period for molluscum is between 2-7 WEEKS, this means it would take a minimum of 2 weeks from the time the virus enters the body to when it shows up as the characteristic lesion.

Now regarding whether it can be spread via toilet seats, the answer is yes, molluscum in one of the few organisms which can be spread via inanimate objects like toilet seats HOWEVER i wouild stress that the rate of transmission via DIRECT skin to skin contact is much higher than the rate of transmission via inanimate objects like toilet seats. But it is certainly possible. However it is not possible for the virus to be acquired by the body and then sprout a lesion within 3 days. That is too short of a time, the shortest incubation period mentioned in literature is one week. But as i said the usual timeframe is between 2-7 weeks.

So in short, Yes it is possible to acquire the virus from the toilet seat BUT it is NOT likely that it would express itself within 3 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 25 days ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor