OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

My fsh levels and lh levels shot up to 51 52 what's wrong…

Customer Question
My fsh levels and lh...
My fsh levels and lh levels shot up to 51 52 what's wrong this was abrupt and my period stopped
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/15/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. 51 is the average age of menopause in this country, so an FSH of 51 (which indicates menopause) is within the realm of what I would expect at this age, as your periods are starting to go away. That being said, there is A LOT of fluctuation of the female hormones during the transition through menopause, so these wild variations can sometimes be seen. As you previously pointed out, stress plays a huge role in our hormones (and thus our periods) and it could be that as your stress level improves, you may see more fluctuations/changes to your bleeding. It is also possible that your periods are completely gone and won't come back (again, within the realm of what I would expect, for your age). I typically tell my patients that once you have not had a period for a whole year, we can pretty comfortably say that you are in menopause and should not expect any more bleeding.

I feel like I'm getting my period I have all of the old symptoms. Would the mirena our cause a menopause my older sister is 54 and still has her period. Can I take hrt

You may still have a period yet. This is why the bloodwork is not great at "diagnosing" menopause and we more go by your symptoms and bleeding patterns. If you're overall healthy you are indeed a candidate for HRT.

In response to your question about the Mirena, from your prior Q I saw you mentioned that the Mirena was removed 5 months ago. At this point any hormones from the Mirena have completely left your system, and anything you're experiencing now is not a side effect of the Mirena. The Mirena does not hasten or delay menopause. In facT many women use the Mirena as the progesterone component of their HRT when they're in menopause.

I am healthy 5 ft 5 122 pounds walk and exercise always, my diet has been very poor the last two montbs

You are a great candidate for HRT if you wanted to take them. HRT will treat symptoms of menopause like hot flashes or mood swings. Not all women going through menopause will experience these symptoms, or experience them to the degree that they want to take medications.

Does it help with hair loss osteoporosis libido

Can help prevent bone loss and osteoporosis.

There are some types of HRT that can help with libido (namely anything containing testosterone though they may have side effects of facial hair growth, acne and voice changes) and you may see improvement with hair loss though there is no HRT specifically for HRT.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with the responses provided please leave a response by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

I'm thinking my body did not adjust well coming off the mirena and this went me into menopause is that possible, about how long does mirena stay I. Your system one it is removed, I had a sonogram yesterday for ovarian pain

The hormones from the Mirena are out of your system within weeks of removal. I've had patients who had the Mirena get pregnant within mere days of removal. It is possible that the Mirena slightly affected your hormones a few months ago, but common things being common, you are at an age where we would expect menopause in most women. You could also have another Mirena put back in if you think your symptoms would be improved, but I doubt that it will make a difference.