OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I was 50 years old and had a mirena inserted for months and…

Customer Question
I was 50 years...

I was 50 years old and had a mirena inserted for months and had it taken out in June of 2017, I had an fsh of 20 at that time and an lh of 9, I had periods in june, july, august and September, in October I was spotting and November no period. I was under much stress as my husband hurt his back and had two surgeries and not able to work. would this cause my period to stop. I had an lh tes and fsh test a week ago and my levels increased greatly to 53lh and 50 fsh. Would cortisol in stress cause this or am I starting menopause? I felt like I was getting my period each month with pms symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I have some pain in my left side, my periods were usually regular, I had them when i took the mirena iud every month. I have been very anxious about my husbands surgery would this cause an absence of a period. I feel like i am going to have one and I don't.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have three children. Always had a period, used the mirena to shed the lining of my uterus

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Any malloy
No thanks I'm cancelling

Please ignore the automated phone call requests

Ok I will ignore the phone calls would stress cause my my and fsh to elevate

Well as far as stress is concerned it definitely can suppress female hormones thus disturbing the monthly cycle. The stress hormones like cortisol cause suppression of pituitary thus causing a block on release of LH and FSH. So if were only stress then we would expect low LH and FSH values.

In your case your age and the elevated values of gonadotropins go more in favour of menopause.

Hope it answered your query

Can those levels jump that quickly from June to november
Does this mean my periods stop completely or can they come back, I feel like I'm going to get a period and it does not occurr
I'm just really nervous about this, would the Lorena our have caused this my sister is 54 and has a fill period
Can you answer these as well
Mirena our I mean my auto text changed tbis
Are you able to answer these or is my case closed
The previous dr didn't answer my questions
Can my period come back
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN replied 5 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified OB/GYN

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. May I take a moment to review the previous comments and then return back shortly with some thoughts?

OB GYN Doctor: Dr David, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor

This is Dr. David

June to November is 5 months

so rise up of FSH and LH levels in 5 months is not that quick.

you should also get estradiol blood levels, if estradiol is low and FSH and LH are high, then you are in menopause

let me know if you have questions.

Dr David
Dr David
Dr David, Doctor