OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

Went in to get a few test done and my hiv came out non

Customer Question
Hey I went in to...
Hey I went in to get a few test done and my hiv came out non reactive
Hep b antibody >1000
And hep c negativeMy question is what's up with hep b? Am I infected? Do I need to worry?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/15/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your test results. Actually a positive hepatitis B antibody does not mean that you are infected. There are various types of antibodies which are used to identify various stages or rather states of hepatitis B. If you have gotten a hepatitis B surface antibody or HbsAb test done which is positive and your hepatitis B surface antigen /HbsAg is negative. That means that you have been vaccinated against hepatitis B and the antibody titer is adequate to provide protection. If however your HbsAg is positive and HbsAb is positive as well that would indicate that you have the infection.
So basically having positive antibodies does not necessarily mean that you have hepatitis B.
If you have the report with you, can you attach it here as that will give me a better idea which antibody was tested for.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today, you can continue to ask follow up questions even after the rating.
I'm looking for the other documents but can you go over all this???
Also what are those that are overdue?
The overdue things are actually your booster vaccinations and they are not tests. They include boosters for measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, varicella. The reminder is to get a booster shot. Some of them may not be necessary depending in your clinical status.
Regarding the rest of the tests there is no major abnormality in them. The three highlighted tests, alp firstly is not anything I would be concerned about a significant can be low because of overhydratuon or even a normal variant. If this was due to a serious condition then your other labs would be deranged as well which they are not. Secondly, the carbondioxide is not a accurate test for one and usually can be deranged because of breathing rapidly. Again nothing to be concerned about. Lastly the high glucose can be due to this nit being a fasting sample, if it was a fasting sample meaning that the tests were done on an empty stomach for 8 hours preceding the test, then you should get a hba1c test done.
But otherwise there are no major abnormalities which I would be worried about here. I would recommend that you start using otc omega 3 fatty acids like fish oil capsules which can bring you good cholesterol number up.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
Okay here you go

Have you been vaccinated against hepatitis B in the past?

I don't remember, I'm sure I was. Idk to be honest

Well if you were vaccinated then this is likely to be the result of that. Because Hep b surface antibodies alone in the absence of any other positive test indicate vaccination. And i think since they were checking the antibodies alone, it means that they wanted to see whether you were still adequately protected against hepatitis B or not.

So this test does NOT mean that you have hepatitis B, it means that you are adequately protected against hepatitis B.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What other test should I get to make sure? If so does it show how long I've had it?I'm worried I have a gf and I don't want any harm done, also I noticed I been gagging a lot lately idk if cause I'm nervous or stressed out

If you want to be sure then you should first get a Hepatitis B surface ANTIGEN test done. This would show if you are currently infected with hepatitis B.

Other than this you would need to get tested for HbeAg and HbeAb along with the core antibody for hepatitis B as well. These would indicate whether you have had an infection in the past or not.

NONE of these tests would show how long you have had the infection, infact no blood test would show how long you have had an infection (IF you are infected in the first place). All of these blood tests would show whether you are currently infected or whether you were infected in the past or not.

The gagging is unrelated to this, that is likely the result of anxiety and it is a common reaction to it.

If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

What about my gf? If I am infected can I cure or get rid of it????

Again, your GF would ONLY be infected if you have it in the first place. As i said earlier, if it was suspected that you have hepatitis B then they would have automatically done the hepatitis b surface antigen test in the first place. The ONLY reason we do the hepatitis b surface antibody test to check if you are still adequately protected against it or not. No physician orders ONLY the antibodies if we suspect that you have hepatitis B.

Secondly hepatitis B can CERTAINLY be treated and gotten rid off these days with various medications. infact it is now a VERY TREATABLE and CURABLE disease.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

I asked my mother if I was vaccinated for hep b when I was a child she said she don't remember... I was born in 1986
I need help?
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Love, a different expert.

If you and your mother are uncertain whether you were vaccinated, then getting the additional tests that were noted above by the other expert will clarify the situation. If the only positive test is the surface antibody test, then that would indicate that you are not infected and that you are immune because of prior vaccination.

There is no reason for you to be worried about having hepatitis B or checking your girlfriend until you get the additional blood tests done.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

what test do I need to go get done??
I'm already getting out of work so I'll go get it done but which one?Me and my gf been off and on since June and of course we been sleeping with each other cause we both tested negative for std but I never tested for hep b or c until resent so now I'm freaking out.

It is usually offered by the lab as a hepatitis B profile. The key components are hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis B core antibody, in addition to the hepatitis B surface antibody. Hepatitis B e antigen and hepatitis B e antibody tests also can be done, but they are not as important as the first three tests.

But why would my antibody show >1000???? Can it be cured?
Hello???

Most likely because you are immune from the vaccine, but the additional tests will be able to clarify.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

I got the other test done

I only see a hepatitis B surface antigen result, which is non-reactive (and also means that it is negative). I do not see a hepatitis B core antibody.

The negative hepatitis B surface antigen is a good result, since that means that you are not infected, so also cannot infect your girlfriend.

However, the hepatitis B core antibody would be necessary to say whether the hepatitis B surface antibody is positive because of a vaccine.

that means I'm negative for hep b?????
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 4 months ago

It means that you are negative for an active infection from hepatitis B.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Okay so that means I can't get it at all down the road????

Yes, when I said above that you are immune, that means that you can't get it down the road.

Okay I will provide a rating but one more thing...So why is it that I keep gagging here and there and sometimes I force myself to eat... plus my urin Is like a yellow ish or a tad bit darker
Idk I'm just scared that I do hep b even tho those test say I'm immune and negative

There are far too many possible causes of these symptoms to be able to say why you are having the symptoms.

From the tests that you have had done, I can tell you that it is not due to hepatitis B or C and the chemistries also show no inflammation of the liver, so you certainly do not need to be scared that it could be hepatitis, but further tests are needed to determine the cause of the symptoms.

Okay so gagging or dry heaving would not be due to hepatitis?You think it's more stress related or anxiety?Cause I gag like at least 10 different times a day and I feel as I'm losing weight..

I am not saying that the symptoms would not be due to hepatitis. I am saying that your blood tests do not show hepatitis.

Anxiety is one of many possible causes of these symptoms, but the determination that it is likely due to anxiety would be exclusion of other possible causes or an ongoing pattern that the symptoms are worse during times of more anxiety and the symptoms are better during times of less anxiety.

I think the symptoms are better when I don't think about it

If you think that the symptoms are worse during times of more anxiety and the symptoms are better during times of less anxiety (including when you don't think about it), then it would be reasonable to discuss treatment of anxiety with your doctor.

Okay doc I got it again, what this mean and the numbers?
Should I need to test again??

We discussed this above.

Yeah but I got new test done so can you please explain it? Both hep b and hep c... should I need to retest in a few months? What does the hep c mean? Please doc

If you want to discuss additional tests, then I will send an offer for more Q&A time.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor