OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had a miscarriage (D&C preformed, due to lack of

second opinion] I had a...
second opinion] I had a miscarriage (D&C preformed, due to lack of heartbeat) on January 9th, 2017. The estimated death was at 8 weeks and 5 days and I found out at my 12 week ultrasound that there was no heartbeat and did not have a spontaneous miscarriage. 4 weeks after the miscarriage my OB GYN put me back on the NuvaRing. I am having random bleeding (mostly dark brown discharge, sometimes bright red) while I am on the birth control. I have had this breakthrough bleeding for almost two weeks now and changed my NuvaRing on the 1st of the month. is this normal? I have never had this inconsistency while I was on the NuvaRing prior to the miscarriage. It has almost been a year and we will be trying to have kids in the next couple years.
11/15/2017
Dr. Vakul Aren

Hello,I am DR. Aren and I will help with your query.The BreakThrough Bleeding(BTB) seen while using the NuvaRing is fairly common and about 45% of women using hormonal birth control are facing this problem.The causes of this are -1.Stress and hormonal level changes while ovulating-the oestrogen levels of the body usually fall between 10-14 days of the cycle due to ovulation,spotting or BTB may occur at this stage of the cycle.

Implantation bleeding-this may occur as spotting or BTB when the fertilized embryo burrows into the uterine walls causing minor blood vessels to bleed.

Uterine fibroids and PCOS- uterine fibroids or myomas may cause bleeding due to their growth,Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome may also cause BTB due to hormonal variations.

Cervical infections- Cervicitis or cervical erosion may cause spotting and pale yellow discharge.

Ectopic pregnancy-may cause BTB.

Usually the BTB settles down within 6 monthe of regular use of Nuvaring or birth control pills..

A check up by your Gynaecologist may help determine the cause and help you adjust to the BTB.

Dr. Vakul Aren