OB GYN

OB-GYN questions? Ask a gynecologist online.

Ask a Doctor,

I had protected sex with a stripper with a condom on Sunday…

Customer Question
Hello, I had protected...

Hello, I had protected sex with a stripper with a condom on Sunday morning 4am, but after turning on the lights myself, the stripper and bed were drenched in blood from her menstrual cycle which I had no idea. Also I have a small cut from shaving on the shaft of my penis where majority of the blood was. The cut happened Friday night at 8pm and not sure if it healed or had a scalp. What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Great

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I do my regular physicals and I’m fine

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: OB GYN
11/14/2017
OB GYN Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Generally speaking, it is not indicated to use PEP after an encounter of protected sex, even if the woman is having her period, as the condom offers protection.

Whether a cut on the penis causes concern is directly related to whether the cut was open at the time of the sexual encounter. Most cuts sustained at 8 PM would have had sufficient healing by 4 Am that it would not pose any real risk. It would only potentially still be an open cut if it had been reopened by the time of the sexual encounter. The usual sign that the cut has reopened would be if there was any bleeding from the cut. If you do not recall that there was any bleeding from the cut on the penis before or after the sexual encounter, then it is most likely that the cut did not pose any risk.

If you are uncertain, then it would be OK to be seen by your doctor for an assessment of risk, but if you did not see any bleeding from the cut on your penis, then it would not be necessary to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

I’m not sure if the cut was reopen during sex and wouldn’t have been able to tell if it was because so much of her blood was on my shaft area and thighs where the cut was. I washed off, went home and showered again. Also I forgot about the cut until the next day I woke up and it was just red. My other fear is if I touched her blood and may have rubbed my eyes. How likely is it for a minor cut to get infected by hiv and or infected by rubbing my eyes with blood? Also why shouldn’t I take pep?

As I said if you are uncertain, then it would be appropriate to be seen by a doctor.

If there was an open cut, then the level of risk is directly related to the severity of the cut, but for a minor cut, it is rare for a minor cut to allow for transmission of HIV. There is no risk of rubbing your eyes with blood that has already been exposed to air. The few cases of transmission through the eye have been cases of fresh blood splattering into the eye.

The reason to not take PEP is what I said above - the use of a condom protects against transmission, even during the menstrual period and if there was no bleeding from the cut, the cut does not pose any significant risk. But as I said above, if you are uncertain, it would be OK to be seen by your doctor.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Dr. D. Love, Doctor